Topic: Round 4 - Raiders V Titans @ Bruce  

GB7600

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Re: Round 4 - Raiders V Titans @ Bruce
« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2011, 07:44:46 PM »
I have played with Sam Williams, he is tuff enough to play NRL, Mat Orford is to slow, too old and just should be taken out side and put down........

You can see it every time he plays. Saw it again today in the NYC game he was outstanding. Time for Orford to make way.

I have no energy after that

Zeus

• John Ferguson
« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2011, 08:17:17 PM »
Orford goes now.

End of story. Just do it because our season is going down the drain fast because of him. Had enough of it.

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2011, 09:13:52 PM »
After playing so well for the whole game that was such a disappointing way to finish off a game. I think this might be the last straw for Orford for most people. His kicking game was terrible all game all he did was pick out the backs on the full. Then that abomination from the scrum I never want to think about again.

We should have won that, we did everything we needed to do for 79 minutes. That was definitely one that got away.

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2011, 09:31:57 PM »
Titans steal the show in Canberra
2 April 2011, 8:37 pm

A series of late errors by the Canberra Raiders have handed the Gold Coast a 23-22 extra-time win at Canberra Stadium on Saturday night.

It was a see-sawing, scrappy battle and it looked as though the Raiders would defend a six-point lead despite being under heavy fire in the last 10 minutes.

But Matt Orford gave the Titans one last roll of the dice when he knocked the ball on in the scrum feed with only 30 seconds left, and Anthony Laffranchi scored after the siren when the Titans spread the ball in broken play.

In the Raiders' first set in extra time Blake Ferguson somehow dropped the ball cold with not a defender in sight, and in the next play Greg Bird slotted an easy field goal for an unlikely win.

The Titans were rewarded for a solid first half and a never-say-die attitude.

They scored first when Bird dummied and beat three tackles in the 10th minute, before the Raiders levelled through a strong Joel Thompson run.

The Raiders lost star fullback Josh Dugan after 25 minutes and his absence was felt immediately, with Brad Meyers breaking through some lazy defence to score from the very next play.

Late in the half the Raiders narrowed the gap to two when Josh McCrone put a well-placed grubber to the right corner and a flying Daniel Vidot just managed to ground the ball inside the touchline.

The second half was an arm-wrestle. Six minutes in, Orford chipped and Ferguson rose above two defenders but was unable to plant the ball down.

Injury also hit the Titans when Preston Campbell, who was replacing the late withdrawal Scott Prince at halfback, succumbed to a knee injury.

The Raiders started to lift on the back of some innovative play between Vidot and Ferguson.

It lead to good field position and it wasn't long before Jarrod Croker strolled over untouched from a set play from a scrum.

Three minutes later the Gold Coast levelled when Bodene Thompson ran through four defenders from close range and wriggled his way over, but Bird's conversion attempt hit the upright.

With 14 minutes left the Raiders regained the lead when McCrone ran across field and put Dane Tilse under the posts to lead by six with just over 12 minutes left.

The Raiders defended strongly and looked to have ground out an ugly win, but they weren't laughing after a comedy of errors cost them the two points.

Source: Sky News Australia

Duganation

• Brad Drew
« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2011, 10:27:19 PM »
words dont do that justice. Williams must be in the side next week. clear now that Orford is not right man for out team. he just does not seem to be up to playing in the nrl anymore. time for the future not the past lets move on from him before its to late to save this season.

Raidercast

• Raidercast Commentary Team
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
    • Raidercast
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2011, 11:47:36 AM »
Woke up this morning thinking that was all just a bad dream. Nightmare more like it. I can't remember a worse finish to a Raiders game in a long time. Its so frustrating that two simple errors lead to a complete waste of the great effort we had put in for the rest of the game.

To be honest, Orford's mistake, while it was an obvious mistake, was pretty unforgivable from a player of his experience. Ferguson's was unforgivable too. There is time for being flashy and carrying the ball loosely in one hand, 10 meters out from your own line in golden point is not one of them. To Ferguson's credit he played well for the rest of the game, unlike Orford.

After that I don't think Furner has any choice but to, at the very least, give Orford a week off.

Raidercast

• Raidercast Commentary Team
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
    • Raidercast
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2011, 11:50:20 AM »

Thanks for doing the score updates for us last night GB. Couldn't have been easy at the end. Well done :great:

Chase94

• RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2011, 06:18:56 PM »
Dont even want to think about it I am just going to pretend the NRL doesnt exist again and its only Toyota cup lol
To be fair both mistakes could have come from any player, both were very unlucky. Orford shouldnt be dropped because he knocked on but because he played badly all game.

Orifice

• Brad Drew
« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2011, 10:42:24 AM »
Sheesh that sucked! I tell you all, you guys have it easy tho lol, try having a misses that thinks the Titans are the best thing since sliced bread an bloody Scott Prince is Brad Pit or some crap lol, no escaping that  ::)

The boys need to fire up and beat them next time so I may have my revenge!  :D

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2011, 12:48:38 PM »
Rd4-Raiders Press Conference
4 April 2011, 10:32 am

Raiders Coach David Furner and Co-Captain David Shillington front the media following the loss to the Gold Coast Titans.

To watch please Click Here

Source: www.raiders.com.au - Canberra Raiders News Headlines

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2011, 12:58:41 PM »
Big Win for Toyota Cup Raiders
4 April 2011, 10:23 am

Australian Schoolboy Jack Wighton scored four tries as the Raiders’ NYC team registered a superb win in front of their home crowd on Saturday, disposing of the last placed Gold Coast Titans 58-18.

Coach David Hamilton’s experiment with reshuffling the team line-up paid dividends with each player thriving in their new positions. Wighton in particular was quite spectacular.

After moving to his preferred five-eighth position, the youngster displayed flair, speed and control in a man of the match performance.

Halves partner Sam Williams paid tribute to Wighton. “He’s a very freakish player and I think this game will do wonders for his confidence.”
Williams and Wighton combined fluently and effectively enabling the ball to flow both sides of the field in the ten try annihilation.

“It helps playing with Sammy Williams. He leads the team around well and I just try to play off the back of him and learn off him while I do it,” Wighton said, repaying the previous compliment.

Hamilton was also pleased with how the new combinations gelled.
“We’ll definitely be keeping these changes for next week. They [the halves] set up well together and Wighton of course did a great job...He organised well and ran some terrific lines. The more they play together the better the combination’s going to be.”

Paul Vaughn set the trend early when he crashed over in the 2nd minute. Chris Medcalf converted.

The Titans hit back four minutes later when Japeth Vaoa brilliantly fielded a Jordan Rankin cross-field bomb and passed in the one movement for Alec Jones to score. Rankin missed the conversion.

Wighton scored his first try in the 13th minute after Matt McIllrick darted out of dummy half and linked with Wighton who danced and skipped around two defenders to cross. Medcalf converted.

Williams then created tries for Vaughn and Hayden Crocket off similar set plays ten metres out from the Titans defence. Medcalf converted.
Vaughn had a fine game, his 138 metres gained and three line breaks paved the way for numerous attacking raids.

Wighton crossed for his second in the 18th minute throwing a dummy to fool the Titans defence. Medcalf missed the conversion.

Williams scored himself in the 21st minute. The wily half scored after Sami Sauiluma fielded Williams’ bomb and found Hayden Hodge looming in support who then positioned Williams to cross. Medcalf converted to stretch the half-time lead out to 34-4.

Wighton scored his third seven minutes into the second half after reeling in a Nathan Massey chip kick to score adjacent to the posts. Medcalf converted.

Williams sliced through on consecutive occasions in the 56th and 58th minutes to position Michael Chee Kam and Wighton to cross next to the posts. Medcalf converted both.

Then came the try of the match in the 63rd minute. Sauiluma fielded a Rankin kick right on the Raiders try line and beat two defenders before linking with Massey. Massey then sent Williams racing 40 metres to score in a thrilling hundred metre movement. Medcalf converted.

The young Raiders are developing well under Hamilton, which prompted calls from above for some adjustments to the line-up.

“Mase [Nathan Massey] is naturally a fullback,” Hamilton said. “He’s in with a good chance at getting a run in the NRL during the year so Furnsey [David Furner] was keen to have him back there.”

And he may not be the only one, as the young Raiders surged to a third straight win.

“The twenty five minute opening is what set it up [the win]. We stuck to the game plan perfectly and we hurt them where we planned to hurt them,” Hamilton said.

Three late consolation tries to the Titans in the final ten minutes added some respectability to the final score for the away side.

The Raiders’ NYC will look to cement their position at the top of the ladder when the travel to Penrith next Saturday to take on the Panthers.

Source: www.raiders.com.au - Canberra Raiders News Headlines

GB7600

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2011, 06:54:51 PM »

Thanks for doing the score updates for us last night GB. Couldn't have been easy at the end. Well done :great:

No worries mate  :great: