Re: Round 5 - Raiders V Panthers @ Centrebet

Posted By: Raidercast
Reply #105 April 09, 2011, 09:18:47 PM
Dont even know what to say about this is just so frustrating! Why cant we stop making errors and giving away silly penalties?

McCrone was outstanding. He is going so well now.

Orford was the same as he has been the last few weeks. Furner needs to give him a rest I think.

Posted By: RNA
Reply #106 April 09, 2011, 09:19:44 PM
NRL Panthers 36 - Raiders 10 at full time

Posted By: GB7600
Reply #107 April 09, 2011, 09:40:43 PM
This is horrible. I dont even want to think about it right now.

Posted By: Archie
Reply #108 April 09, 2011, 09:54:52 PM
Something really needs to be done. Nothing seems to be going right. We are dropping balls, making bad passes, missing easy tackles, not running hard enough, not thinking, I could go on... but there is something not right at all.

Josh McCrone looked like he really wanted to play but it takes more than one man to do the job. Orford was nowhere. I dont know I need to switch off after that.

Posted By: Orifice
Reply #109 April 09, 2011, 09:58:31 PM
Orford needs to go. Plain and simple. Rest of the team needs to pull their fingers out and start playing some bloody football. I swear I had to force myself not to turn the TV off and I never do that.

Reply #110 April 09, 2011, 10:10:04 PM
Penrith complete second-half rout to demolish Canberra Raiders 36-10 at Centrebet Stadium

The scoreboard may have flattered Penrith Panthers in the first half, but a scorching running game in the second stanza proved the 36-10 victory was a deserved reflection of Penrithrs turnaround.

An injury to Penrith halfback Luke Walsh has soured a convincing 36-10 NRL victory over struggling Canberra at Centrebet Stadium.

Walsh, who was a standout for the Panthers, left the field in the 76th minute with what appeared to be a shoulder injury suffered when he attempted to tackle Raiders fullback Blake Ferguson.

The No.7 had only made his return from a week off with a shoulder complaint on Saturday night.

Penrith restarted their stop-start season by finally managing a home performance that didn't embarrass them, winger David Simmons bagging a hat-trick in a six-tries-to-two win in front of 10,229 fans.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Where to for the Panthers from here? Was this a one-off win or the start of a season turnaround? Have your say by leaving a comment at the bottom of the page.

Travis Burns, Michael Gordon and Petero Civoniceva also scored for the Panthers, while Reece Robinson and Daniel Vidot bagged four-pointers for the Raiders.

Gordon booted six from seven and Raiders centre Jarrod Croker one from two as pre-season fancies the Raiders crashed to a fourth straight loss, their ledger now just one win from five rounds.

The Raiders continue to struggle to integrate big name signings Matt Orford, Brett White and Ferguson into their line-up as chief playmaker Terry Campese sits in the stands recovering from knee surgery.

Stand-in fullback Ferguson's bad case of the butterfingers got even worse on Saturday night after he and Orford were the culprits in allowing Gold Coast to get out of jail in Canberra last weekend.

The makeshift No.1 came up with three errors within the opening 12 minutes, two on the first tackle after Penrith kicks, and one, a tough ask as he attempted to field a difficult grubber, led to a Panthers try.

Penrith led 18-4 at the break but it was the Raiders who scored first after half-time when winger Vidot grabbed a Josh McCrone kick to make it 18-10.

Four minutes later, though, Simmons got his third after some classy lead-up from Gordon before the Panthers fullback got one for himself in the 62nd minute and Civoniceva a rare four-pointer in the final minute.

Penrith prop Sam McKendry, a late inclusion after recovering from a hip injury, was placed on report in the 16th minute for an alleged trip.

He was lying on the ground at the time and appeared to raise a leg only centimetres from the ground.

Source: Fox Sports

Posted By: pocket rocket
Reply #111 April 09, 2011, 10:25:40 PM
Just kill me now please  :banghead: what is happening to my Raiders?

Posted By: Chase94
Reply #112 April 09, 2011, 10:46:36 PM
Going to be a long week now :=/

I can't fault any one player, we can't blame Orford for that loss. He didn't play great but he didn't cause us to lose and was very strong in defence. Joshy was awesome! The way he was running tonight looked great he should do that all the time and play more of a 5.8ths game because he is very good at it. Problem is he is playing both half and 5.8 game right now because Orford isn't going too well.

Was impressed with Waddel but the rest of our forward looked very flat. It just doesnt seem to be working and I cant seem to put my finger on it but we are just not plying as that unit we became last year.

Posted By: dife!
Reply #113 April 09, 2011, 11:02:57 PM
The team has been so dissapointing this year I was expecting much more from them after last year. What is going wrong? Is it the new players in the side or is it 2nd year syndrome coming for some of the younger players? I think it is a bit of both. The old guys seem overly slow and the young ones are too rash. There is no control in our game and no one running the show.

Posted By: YeildtoNone
Reply #114 April 09, 2011, 11:19:36 PM
hopeless

Reply #115 April 09, 2011, 11:29:17 PM
Panthers pounce on Raiders
9 April 2011, 8:53 pm

PENRITH coach Matt Elliott went a long way towards earning a stay of execution last night as his team tore apart an insipid Canberra Raiders.                          

The pressure this week will go on to Raiders halfback Matt Orford, who is struggling in his return to the NRL.

The Panthers flew out of the blocks intent on taking pressure off their coach.

Returning playmaker Luke Walsh put winger David Simmons over for the first of his three tries in the third minute, with a spectacular long ball giving the winger a free run to the line.

Coming off last week's golden-point loss to the Gold Coast Titans, the Raiders struggled to find their feet, with the Panthers' defenders jamming in and limiting their yardage game.

With his side under early pressure, Blake Ferguson's shocking run continued with the fullback paying the ultimate price for his second error of the game.

After dropping the ball last week to give the Titans a shot at field goal, Ferguson failed to collect a scrappy Travis Burns kick, with the Panthers five-eighth toeing the ball from his hands to find Simmons.

The Penrith winger picked up the ball and raced in for his second try to give his side a 10-0 lead after 12 minutes.

The Raiders came back into the contest in the 17th minute when Ferguson went some way to redeeming himself with a clever ball putting Reece Robinson in for the visitors' first try. Following sustained pressure after a repeat set, Ferguson looped a one-handed pass to Robinson, who dived over to make it 12-4 to the home team.

Their comeback was short-lived with Burns extending the Panthers' lead when he pounced on another Walsh grubber to score a controversial try in the 24th minute.

With the Raiders on the ropes, Burns slammed the ball down after Michael Jennings appeared to knock on.

Following a series of inconclusive replays, a try was awarded to take the Panthers out to an 18-4 lead after Michael Gordon had slotted the conversion.

The road curse continued for the hapless Raiders, with Robinson denied a 100m try on the stroke of halftime.

With their ears still ringing after a half-time spray from coach David Furner, the Raiders bridged the gap with Daniel Vidot leaping high to put Canberra back in the game. Jarrod Crocker concerted to make it 18-10.

But the joy was short-lived, with Gordon racing away to set up a spectacular 60m try for Simmons.

Under pressure and with seemingly nothing on, Gordon beat four defenders before finding Burns, who gave the ball to Michael Jennings. The centre stepped inside Ferguson before finding Simmons to score his hat-trick.

Gordon put the result beyond doubt in the 62nd minute when Trent Waterhouse sent him away to take the lead out to 20 points.

PENRITH 36 (D Simmons 3 T Burns P Civoniceva M Gordon tries M Gordon 6 goals) bt CANBERRA 10 (R Robinson D Vidot tries J Croker goal) at Centrebet Stadium. Referee: Gavin Badger, Brett Suttor. Crowd: 10,229.

Source: Daily Telegraph | NRL - Raiders

Posted By: Solo7
Reply #116 April 10, 2011, 12:21:58 PM
@ Chase94, is true that Orford didn't make us lose so we can't blame him for it but he also did not win us the game so I blame him for that much.

Posted By: GB7600
Reply #117 April 10, 2011, 02:07:57 PM
The whole side needs to take a look at how they are playing. The forwards especially looked flat. Pretty much everyone except for McCrone needs to improve.

Reply #118 April 11, 2011, 03:36:09 PM
Toyota Cup Raiders continue hot run
11 April 2011, 10:00 am

Fullback Nathan Massey starred as the Raiders’ under 20’s made it four wins in a row with a comprehensive 26 point win over the Penrith Panthers at Centrebet Stadium.

Massey strongly pressed his claim for a first grade debut whilst Josh Dugan is out injured, as the emerging star scored two tries and ran 194 metres in the 44-18 victory.

The former Bulldog is pleased to be back in his preferred custodian position as he believes he is “more of a supportive player instead of setting up the play.”

“They [Furner and Hamilton] want me to keep getting involved from the fullback role after playing five-eighth in the first couple of games.

My combinations are slowly building but I’m just trying to give my all in every game and play consistently good football. I’m loving it down here at the moment.”

Coach David Hamilton was happy with the win but warned his troops to “enjoy the win because we’ve got some tough games coming up in the next couple of rounds.”

The result was extra special considering the Raiders didn’t have a genuine hooker playing after Matt McIllrick broke his ribs at training. McIllrick is expected to return in four weeks time.

Massey opened the scoring in the 16th minute after a sublime offload by bookend Shannon Boyd put the fullback into open pastures. Massey then beat the Panthers fullback with some fancy footwork to celebrate the 40 metre movement. Chris Medcalf converted.

Harry Siejka made Canberra pay after they failed to complete the corresponding set of six when the talented half put on a run around play and then dashed through the Raiders defence to score. Siejka converted his own try.

Had it not been for the booming boot of Siejka, in which he continuously found open space, Massey would have caused much more damage to the Panthers.

Sam Williams, however, gained the upper hand in the individual contest creating two tries for Paul Vaughn and Massey late in the first half.
Massey’s try was a gem, with Williams chipping over the defence 40 metres out for Massey to regather and brush the Panthers’ fullback to score. Medcalf converted both tries to extend the lead to 18-6 at half-time.

Vaughn scored his second five minutes into the second half when the big front crashed over again off a Williams’ pass. Medcalf converted.

“It’s really good playing with Sammy,” Vaughn said. “We’ve got a good combination as we’ve been playing together since under 16’s so we know each other’s game.”

Early ball from Jack Wighton allowed Michael Chee Kam enough space to attract both the Panthers’ outside backs before flicking a ball out to Matthew Allwood to cross in the 53rd minute. Medcalf missed the conversion from out wide.

Williams then ticked the scoreboard over, laying on tries for Haydon Hodge and Medcalf with wonderfully weighted kicks. Medcalf converted both tries.

Widely renowned for their attacking ability, Canberra were thoroughly impressive in defence only conceding the one try in the second stanza when Vaipuna Tia Kilifi barged over off a short ball from Siejka in the 71st minute. Siejka converted.

“We definitely know how to find a try line, but defensively I was really happy with the boys. They were really testing our right edge out in particular but the boys worked really hard for it [the win].”

Wighton finished the scoring in the 74th minute and was desperately unlucky not to score his second four minutes later after he was beautifully cover tackled over the sideline by Robbie Mate fielding a kick and racing 99 metres.

The win was soured somewhat by an injury to Hodge, who is expecting an extended period on the sideline.

“It’s tragic to win a game like that and have Hodgy do his ACL,” Hamilton said. “We’re not too sure how long he’ll be out for but that sours it [the win] big time.”

Vaughn, who was a colossus up front with two tries, 24 tackles and 169 metres, has no doubt his former housemate will bounce back. “It’s going to be a really tough time for him but he’s a good player and very strong mentally. He’ll be a better player for it.”

Source: www.raiders.com.au - Canberra Raiders News Headlines

Posted By: Chase94
Reply #119 April 12, 2011, 08:32:58 AM
Toyota Cup Raiders continue hot run
11 April 2011, 10:00 am

Fullback Nathan Massey starred as the Raiders’ under 20’s made it four wins in a row with a comprehensive 26 point win over the Penrith Panthers at Centrebet Stadium.

Massey strongly pressed his claim for a first grade debut whilst Josh Dugan is out injured, as the emerging star scored two tries and ran 194 metres in the 44-18 victory.

The former Bulldog is pleased to be back in his preferred custodian position as he believes he is “more of a supportive player instead of setting up the play.”

“They [Furner and Hamilton] want me to keep getting involved from the fullback role after playing five-eighth in the first couple of games.

My combinations are slowly building but I’m just trying to give my all in every game and play consistently good football. I’m loving it down here at the moment.”

Coach David Hamilton was happy with the win but warned his troops to “enjoy the win because we’ve got some tough games coming up in the next couple of rounds.”

The result was extra special considering the Raiders didn’t have a genuine hooker playing after Matt McIllrick broke his ribs at training. McIllrick is expected to return in four weeks time.

Massey opened the scoring in the 16th minute after a sublime offload by bookend Shannon Boyd put the fullback into open pastures. Massey then beat the Panthers fullback with some fancy footwork to celebrate the 40 metre movement. Chris Medcalf converted.

Harry Siejka made Canberra pay after they failed to complete the corresponding set of six when the talented half put on a run around play and then dashed through the Raiders defence to score. Siejka converted his own try.

Had it not been for the booming boot of Siejka, in which he continuously found open space, Massey would have caused much more damage to the Panthers.

Sam Williams, however, gained the upper hand in the individual contest creating two tries for Paul Vaughn and Massey late in the first half.
Massey’s try was a gem, with Williams chipping over the defence 40 metres out for Massey to regather and brush the Panthers’ fullback to score. Medcalf converted both tries to extend the lead to 18-6 at half-time.

Vaughn scored his second five minutes into the second half when the big front crashed over again off a Williams’ pass. Medcalf converted.

“It’s really good playing with Sammy,” Vaughn said. “We’ve got a good combination as we’ve been playing together since under 16’s so we know each other’s game.”

Early ball from Jack Wighton allowed Michael Chee Kam enough space to attract both the Panthers’ outside backs before flicking a ball out to Matthew Allwood to cross in the 53rd minute. Medcalf missed the conversion from out wide.

Williams then ticked the scoreboard over, laying on tries for Haydon Hodge and Medcalf with wonderfully weighted kicks. Medcalf converted both tries.

Widely renowned for their attacking ability, Canberra were thoroughly impressive in defence only conceding the one try in the second stanza when Vaipuna Tia Kilifi barged over off a short ball from Siejka in the 71st minute. Siejka converted.

“We definitely know how to find a try line, but defensively I was really happy with the boys. They were really testing our right edge out in particular but the boys worked really hard for it [the win].”

Wighton finished the scoring in the 74th minute and was desperately unlucky not to score his second four minutes later after he was beautifully cover tackled over the sideline by Robbie Mate fielding a kick and racing 99 metres.

The win was soured somewhat by an injury to Hodge, who is expecting an extended period on the sideline.

“It’s tragic to win a game like that and have Hodgy do his ACL,” Hamilton said. “We’re not too sure how long he’ll be out for but that sours it [the win] big time.”

Vaughn, who was a colossus up front with two tries, 24 tackles and 169 metres, has no doubt his former housemate will bounce back. “It’s going to be a really tough time for him but he’s a good player and very strong mentally. He’ll be a better player for it.”

Source: www.raiders.com.au - Canberra Raiders News Headlines

God our juniors rock!

Print

Follow Raidercast
FacebookTwitterinstagramtumblr
Raidercast.com.au - The Ultimate Canberra Raiders Website
WEBSITE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE