Disgraceful officiating

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Re: Round 6 - Raiders V Cowboys @ Dairy Farmers
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2011, 05:59:54 PM »
VIDEO: All tries, Cowboys Vs Raiders, Round 6 NRL 2011
17 April 2011, 5:31 am

There may have been a 5.2 earthquake hours before kick off but it was the Canberra Raiders who were left shaken after a 26-18 loss at the hands of the North Queensland Cowboys at Dairy Farmers Stadium on Saturday night.

The sides may have been only eight points apart on the scoreboard but the gulf on the field was far wider, with the hosts showing intensity and execution for their second win in a row while the visitors' were dreadful until the final 20 minutes when their opponents had clocked off.

North Queensland Cowboys 26, Tries Winterstein, Bolton, Hall, Thurston, Goals: Thurston 4/4 Penalties: 1/1.

Canberra Raiders 18, Tries: Ferguson, Fensom, Ferguson, Goals: Croker 2/2.

Watch the video for the tries.

Source: 3News

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2011, 09:07:16 AM »
Raiders remain resolute despite a horror start to season

NRL cellar dwellers the Canberra Raiders remain resolute their season is alive despite slumping to their worst start in six years.

The Raiders yesterday returned to the nation's capital after Saturday night's 26-18 loss to the North Queensland Cowboys in Townsville.

Finals football appears a long way off for a last-placed Raiders side after a five-game losing streak.

Even at this early stage of the season, the next two weeks are critical to their top-eight aspirations.

The Raiders host the Newcastle Knights on Sunday, followed by a round-three rematch with the Wests Tigers at Canberra Stadium seven days later.

Raiders centre Jarrod Croker believed solidarity would be vital if the under-siege Green Machine is to get its shaky season back on track.

''Dropping your heads and not sticking together is not going to get us anywhere,'' Croker said.

''So we've got stick together, ice up and get ready for a couple of home games and get the ball rolling.''

The record books are being extended every week, but for all the wrong reasons.

Canberra's one-five win/loss record after the opening six rounds matches the 2005 team's effort.

That 2005 side dropped six of its first seven games but snuck into the top eight, albeit in a year when the Canterbury Bulldogs lost 37 premiership points for salary cap breaches.

Melbourne Storm's scratching from last year's competition also had a bearing on the number of points needed to qualify for the post-season. The Raiders finished seventh with 13 wins.

To replicate that this season they need to win 12 of their final 18 games.

Hooker Alan Tongue is an outside chance of facing the Knights providing his injured shoulder survives contact work at training this week.

Veteran halfback Matt Orford will also be monitored to see if he has recovered from the lower back injury which kept him out of the trip to Townsville.

The Raiders will seek an explanation from referee's boss Bill Harrigan after two decisions proved costly in their loss to the Cowboys.

The most contentious was the try to Cowboys captain Johnathan Thurston late in the first half which extended the hosts' lead to 24-6.

Raiders co-captain David Shillington was adamant Thurston knocked the ball on when he pounced on a play-the-ball from Blake Ferguson 15m out from his own line.

Ferguson played the ball with no dummy-half, allowing Thurston to grubber the ball into the in-goal.

''I spoke to the refs a couple of weeks ago, there were a couple of decisions there they agreed were wrong, they're hurting us,'' Furner said.

''I talked to them, and I thought [Saturday night] was a little bit like that.

''You can say some [was due] to our discipline, which surprises me from my team, but to have a penalty count 10-3 [against the Raiders] I thought there were a couple that could've gone our way.

''I know this team is trying its guts out. When the luck's not with you and you're trying to get a win, those decisions don't go your way.''

THE RAIDERS' WORST LOSING RUNS

EIGHT: Rounds 21-25, 1985 and R1-3 1986

SEVEN: R1-7 1982; R20-26 2005

SIX: R9-14 1982 and R7-12 1983

FIVE: R2-6 2011*; QF 1996 and R1-4 1997; R10-15 2005

* Still going

FOUR: R20-22 1993 and R1 1994; R4-7 2002; R21-24 2002; R8-11 2004; R14-17 2007; QF 2008 and R1-3 2009; R6-10 2009.

Source: The Canberra Times

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
We let 'em off the hook

COWBOYS centre Willie Tonga says his team should have put the Raiders to the sword. A 26-18 scoreline just wasn't good enough.

Self-criticism, even after experiencing the flush of victory, is starting to become a hallmark of the Cowboys' attitude in season 2011, and Tonga is no exception.

Not that he casts Kyle Sandilands-style judgements, it's just that Tonga knows there are things in their game need a bit of tweaking.

"(Coach) Neil (Henry) and a few of the boys touched on it straight away ... we know we can do better," Tonga said.

"That's something we don't want to re-visit, letting teams come back into the game, and it's good for the boys to know that."

Tonga also conceded that he hadn't made a big impact in Saturday night's game.

"I was pretty quiet last night, I didn't get many opportunities attacking-wise," he said.

"But I think our forwards went really well and JT played a hand in a lot of our plays as did Matty Bowen who came up with a few try-savers."

With Saturday's game behind him Tonga said he would play a redemption game of sorts when the Cowboys travelled to Sydney this weekend to play Cronulla Sharks.

The Sharks started the year as wooden-spoon favourites.

"I think they're really solid defenders and I'm not sure who I'll be marking up against but I know I need to lift my game and I'm looking forward to doing that against those boys," he said.

"We don't downplay any team and we know that it's a tight competition. They're going to come out on Saturday and be another tough test for us."

Tonga cast his attention back to Canberra's late comeback on Saturday night and the fact they had been in previous situations against Parramatta and the Gold Coast.

"As a team we're pretty disappointed in how we let them (Canberra) come back and we've been in that position before," Tonga said.

"We've already played a team that's come back and won the game so there's a few areas we need to work on and we're looking to do that this week."

Still ,Tonga appreciates the fact that the Cowboys have won four of their first six games, their best season start since 2007.

"To be sitting where we are at the moment is a lot different to what I've experienced in the last couple of years," he said.

Cowboys second-rower Glenn Hall is also riding the wave of recent success at the club, and he celebrated his 100th match of NRL footy on Saturday with the game's second try.

"I thought 'thank God Nathan Hindmarsh doesn't play for Canberra'," Hall said, in reference to the Parramatta player who denied him a try against the Eels three weeks ago.

"I surprised myself at how quick I took off, I think I just scared myself into the hole.

"One hundred games, a win, a try ... very happy."

Will Tupou also showcased his versatility on the night by filling the boots of injured interchange Ricky Thorby and playing 24 minutes in the back row.

"It's something different, I actually enjoy tackling," Tupou said.

"It's something to get used to, when you get that call-up you've just got to turn up for it."

Source: Townsville Bulletin

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2011, 09:27:26 AM »

Name the Raiders player making this tackle for bonus points! :D

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2011, 12:16:12 PM »
Rd6-Raiders Press Conference
18 April 2011, 10:20 am

Raiders Coach David Furner and Co-Captain David Shillington front the media to discuss the loss to the Cowboys.

To watch please Click Here

Source: www.raiders.com.au - Canberra Raiders News Headlines

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2011, 12:17:05 PM »
Raiders downed by Cowboys
16 April 2011, 11:36 pm

The Canberra Raiders have lost their fifth straight match, going down by 26-18 To the North Queensland Cowboys at Toyota Stadium in Townsville.

The Raiders were down 24-6 at halftime, but rallied back in the second half to show some encouraging signs, but the deficit was too much to handle for the visitors as the Cowboys held on to win.

The Raiders first try came through Blake Ferguson who continues his impressive season with the Green Machine, as he scored his seventh try in six matches, but a mistake coming out of the Raiders own end allowed Jonathan Thurston to pick up a loose play the ball to score.

In a controversial decision by the video referee it appeared that Thurston knocked the ball on while attempting to pick it up cleanly, but it was ruled to be kicked forward and the try was given. It was a huge call in the scheme of the game as it allowed the Cowboys to head into the break at 24-6.

Tries to Shaun Fensom and a second to Ferguson were the highlights of a spirited second half from the Raiders, but they fell short of the victory.

The Raiders now face the Newcastle Knights at Canberra Stadium this Sunday.

NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS 26 (Antonio Winterstein, Scott Bolton, Glen Hall, Jonathan Thurston Tries; Jonathan Thurston 5 Goals) defeated CANBERRA RAIDERS 18 (Blake Ferguson 2, Shaun Fensom Tries; Jarrod Croker 3 Goals) at Dairy Farmers Stadium.

Source: www.raiders.com.au - Canberra Raiders News Headlines