Topic: Dragons u20s coach Holbrook says Raiders are a big challenge

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Dragons u20s coach Holbrook says Raiders are a big challenge
« on: March 24, 2013, 12:57:28 PM »
Holbrook: Pleasing Turn Of Fortune

St George Illawarra Dragons National Youth Competition Head Coach Justin Holbrook knows his players must back-up their recent performance if they are to win in the nation’s capital on Sunday.

The Red-And-Whites confront the Canberra Raiders this round having previously taken control of the match in the second half of the 40-28 win over the Brisbane Broncos at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Friday.

The Young Dragons scored five of their seven tries in the second stanza, after failing to score after halftime in the opening round loss to the Melbourne Storm.

Holbrook says that the challenge for his side is backing up the effort against the team who knocked his charges out of the Preliminary Finals last campaign.

“We were disappointing last week in Melbourne, but the boys turned up tonight with a much better effort level against the Broncos,” said Holbrook.

“I think the catalyst for our second-half performance was just how poor we were in the first half last week.

“It’s easy to use that as motivation, and the pleasing thing is the boys turned it around and got the win.

“I thought a lot of the boys went well, and we made a lot of breaks.

“Luke Dodge played very well, Yaw Kiti Glymin did a great job at fullback, and Charly Runciman looked dangerous all night.

“Charly’s been great since he came back from training with the NRL squad over the pre-season.

“I’ve seen improvements in his overall game, particularly his reading of the game, and his effort levels have always been really good.

“We’ve got an away game coming up against the Raiders next Sunday.

“They’ll be tough, especially down there in Canberra, so we’ve got to be consistent and back this effort up.

“It’s a big challenge for us, but one we’re looking forward to.”

Source: http://www.dragons.com.au/news-display/Holbrook-Pleasing-Turn-Of-Fortune/70206