Topic: Raiders looking for win in Toyota Cup

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Raiders looking for win in Toyota Cup
« on: June 11, 2011, 12:06:31 PM »
Raiders looking for win in Toyota Cup

The Canberra Raiders NYC outfit has the perfect opportunity to climb back into the top eight in this weekend's clash with the eighth placed Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium.

Last week's spirited 20-18 loss to the North Queensland Cowboys saw the side drop out of the top eight for the first time since round one.

Coach David Hamilton, whilst not pleased to have dropped out of the eight given the talent within the team, is not entirely deterred however.

``It was [disappointing] but we're not that far off the eight. It's a tight comp just like every year and we could go from ninth to seventh with a win this week.''

``Our goal is to finish the year somewhere between one to six on the ladder, and once we get some troops back we'll be on the right track.''

Already decimated by injury, the side will also be without the services of star playmaker Jack Wighton who has been selected in the NSW 18s side that will play in the curtain raiser for the State of Origin next Wednesday.

With Wighton's omission, a lot of pressure is seemingly placed on the shoulders of inexperienced half Ryan Gowing. Gowing was a star of the under SG Ball side and the Valley Dragons junior has been particularly impressive in his three matches for Canberra, earning man of the match honours in his debut.

``He's been through our system and I've always been excited about him,'' said Hamilton. ``He's a tough kid and he's got a lot to learn but he's definitely a player of the future for us.''

Hamilton, however, will be looking for captain Matt McIlwrick to dominate from hooker.

``They'll be no pressure on Gowing. I expect my dummy half o control things more than anything. The ruck is where this game will be won and we'll be targeting them there.''

``I'll be looking to Matty [McIlwrick] to dominate the ruck area, and he'll have to especially with the side they've named.''

McIlwrick will work in tandem with the last of the production line of Picker's, Ben. The pair compliments each other well. When Ben comes on McIlwrick will revert back to lock so the side is able to utilise his damaging running game and growing leadership qualities.

``I'm not an experienced captain but I'm really looking forward to leading the side around the park,'' McIlwrick said. ``They've got a few player's out this week, so their middle corridor's a bit weak and I'll be looking to target that.''

Brisbane will be without the services of Corey Norman and Dale Copely who have been called up to first grade, along with four other members who have been selected in the Queensland under 18s team.

The side's last met in round two, however both Hamilton and McIlwrick believe the 38-22 victory will have no bearing on the result.

The match kicks off on Sunday at 11:45am at Suncorp Stadium.

Source: Raiders.com.au