Topic: Campese's Scan Results After Groin Scare

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Campese's Scan Results After Groin Scare
« on: February 21, 2012, 03:59:29 PM »
Scans clear Campese for a full return

Terry Campese's mental scars from a wretched year of injuries prompted the Canberra Raiders star to be ''over cautious'' and miss the team's pre-season trial last weekend.

But in a major boost for Campese and the Raiders, scans yesterday revealed only the slightest strain in his groin which wouldn't normally prevent him from taking the field.

Determined not to cause any damage to his adductor, Campese was confined to the drinks cart at his own charity golf day - which raises money for Canteen - at the Federal Golf Club yesterday.

He was on the course handing out drinks when head fitness coach Matt Ford called to deliver the news his scans were clear and he could return to full training next week.

''I am definitely relieved, but that's what I was predicting it was,'' Campese said.

''We only had a light week of training this week anyway so I've just got to chill out and get back into full training when Fordy thinks I'm good to go.

''It was just one of those things where you don't want to worsen it or put it under more stress.

''Because I had those injuries last year I just want to get back and be 100 per cent.''

The Raiders decided against risking their No1 playmaker in the trial against the Canterbury Bulldogs in Wagga Wagga last weekend.

He pulled up sore after training on Friday and felt the injury tighten up in the warm up.

The 27-year-old played just eight minutes last season.

He recovered from a knee reconstruction, but his return was short-lived when he suffered an adductor tear against North Queensland.

Campese admitted his run of injuries was playing on his mind when he pulled out of the trial.

''I can't feel it when I'm walking around, but it was just precautionary and we didn't want to risk it so I can definitely play in round one,'' Campese said.

''The two injuries I had last year were just unlucky ones. But I guess I am a bit more over cautious when I do feel something so I can look after it as best I can.

''I felt good in the one game I did play, my fitness was good and my combination with Joshy [McCrone] felt like it picked up where we left it in [the finals] in 2010.''

Most of Campese's teammates and Raiders coach David Furner joined him at the first Terry Campese Canteen Golf Day, even though the host couldn't swing a club.

Campese has taken over the day after Ricky Stuart hosted it for 13 years.

The Raiders are also expected to name their captain or co-captains this week with Campese and front-rower David Shillington the two most likely candidates.

Campese's availability means that Furner has a welcome selection headache before the season opener against Melbourne Storm at Canberra Stadium on March 3.

The Raiders have a full squad to choose from, and a handful of positions will be hotly contested.

Utility Joel Thompson impressed in the second row coming off the bench against the Bulldogs, and may have played his way into a starting position. Thompson played right centre last season, but recruit Shaun Berrigan looks set to assume that role after playing 80 minutes there against Canterbury.

''The way Joely T played it's very hard not to have him in the starting side, he performed really well,'' Furner said.

''I said to him after the game he made a poignant impact when he came on, and you need to have him in the team somewhere.

''It's a good dilemma to have. At this point in time you want players competing for positions and I'm satisfied having a full squad to choose from.''

Furner gave little away about who would replace retired skipper Alan Tongue as first-choice hooker.

Waddell is expected to win the battle for the No 9 jersey after playing the first 55 minutes against Canterbury, with Glen Buttriss coming off the bench. Berrigan is equally adept at dummy half, and Canberra is tipped to include just one hooker in its top 17.

''There's some headaches as a coach you don't mind,'' Furner said.

''I did give Travvy [Waddell] a bit more game time to see how he's going and certainly they're both in contention, but nothing's assured at the moment.''

NRL ROUND ONE

Saturday, March 3: Canberra Raiders v Melbourne Storm at Canberra Stadium, 5.30pm.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald