Topic: Rapana re-signs with NRL Raiders

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Rapana re-signs with NRL Raiders
« on: May 08, 2015, 12:24:49 PM »
Jordan Rapana has re-signed with Canberra for another two seasons, barely a year after wanting to quit the NRL for a second time and join the police force.

The winger joined the Raiders in 2014 following a two-year Mormon mission in the UK and a failed bid to win a Super Rugby contract with the Western Force and Brumbies.

He only managed two first-grade games before a fractured skull cut his season short.

Just weeks earlier, he'd considered leaving the game.

"At that time, I was coming off contract and I got given a lifeline for a year," he said on Friday.

"I've taken that with both hands ... and that's led me to here now.

"I just want to play the best footy I can for the Raiders."

The 25-year-old thanked former Raiders coach David Furner for getting him back into rugby league, and current boss Ricky Stuart for keeping the faith.

"It's been a long time coming," he said.

"Without being cocky, I felt very confident that I could get back to this level.

"I still feel I'm improving and the best years of my footy are still ahead of me."

Rapana burst onto the NRL scene as an 18-year-old in 2008, scoring five tries in as many games with Gold Coast.

He'll come face-to-face with his old club on Saturday at GIO Stadium.

"I'd love to give it to them," he laughed.

"(The new contract) definitely gives me confidence going into this game. I definitely feel wanted."

Rapana returns after fracturing his cheekbone in the Raiders' last match against South Sydney, but said he was fine.

"It's just a little niggle," he said.

"I just probably should wear head gear or work on my technique!"

Canberra are also reportedly close to signing Newcastle centre Joey Leilua in a bid to boost its backline stocks.

More: http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8985296