Topic: Raiders quash coaching rumours

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Raiders quash coaching rumours
« on: June 04, 2012, 08:55:42 PM »
Raiders quash coaching rumours

Canberra Raiders have moved to shut down rumours they are planning to axe embattled coach David Furner.

The Raiders have made a dismal start to the season, winning just four games and lying second from bottom on the table.

Furner told Grandstand he was surprised by the statement and said "hard work" is the solution to Canberra's problems.

"Personally I've never walked away from any challenge," Furner said.

"I see this as a good challenge and so do the players."

Speculation was rife on social media that Furner's job was under review but the coach himself said his main focus was the performance of his players.

"I can't control social media and what's put on it," Furner said.

"I've just got to control what's in my hands ... which is the team."

Raiders chairman John McIntyre released a statement quashing rumours of Furner's demise.

"There has been no board meeting scheduled regarding David Furner's position and he remains the head coach of the Canberra Raiders," McIntyre said in the statement.

He urged fans to stick by the club despite finals football looking an increasingly distant prospect.

"We aren't happy with the position we're in at the moment, but I know the coaching staff and playing group are 100 per cent committed to turning things around on the field," McIntyre said.

Furner is contracted until 2014 but despite guiding Canberra to the 2010 finals, he has struggled to turn the Raiders into a genuine premiership force.

The Raiders will spend a week in camp ahead of their round 14 clash with the Knights in Newcastle, with the move aimed at unifying the playing group.

Source: ABC