Topic: Canberra cold no comfort for new Raider

Chase94

• RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Canberra cold no comfort for new Raider
« on: November 04, 2011, 02:05:10 PM »
Cold no comfort for new raider

JORDAN Worboys has spent the greater majority of his first 18 years on this planet living at Wallbi Point and environs.

Given his family’s close affinity with the surf, it’s not surprising that he spends a reasonable amount of time searching local beaches for the best break. So Worboys knows the next chapter of his life will usher in a new lifestyle. Worboys has signed to play rugby league with the Canberra Raiders. He moved to the national capital yesterday in time for his first first training session with the Raiders’ Toyota Cup (under 20s) that afternoon.

He’ll attend university in Canberra. Worboys finished his HSC on Monday.

At the moment he virtually walks out of his home and onto the beach. All that’s going to change in Canberra.

“The South Coast’s the closest beach,’’ he said.

“That’s about 1 hour 45 away, so I suppose that’s not too far if I get desperate for a surf.’’

Worboys confesses that he isn’t too fussed about the cold, so Canberra’s notoriously freezing winters have him a bit concerned.

“I’ll have to buy some thermals,’’ he said.

But weather worries aside Worboys said he can’t wait to get settled into Canberra and meet his new team-mates. Negotiations started with the Raiders about two months ago.

“I sort of had an offer from the Dogs, but the Canberra one was better,’’ Worboys explained.

“Now I’m happy it’s all been finalised.’’

Worboys played with the Old Bar Pirates in Group Three in the past two years after starting off in the juniors with Taree Panthers. He was a member of Old Bar’s premiership winning under 18s side in 2010 and captained the team last season. Worboys was also used extensively off the bench in first grade, an experience he enjoyed.

“Yeah, it was good up there and I learnt a fair bit,’’ he said.

Worboys agreed he had more freedom in first grade, where there wasn’t as much expectation on him.

The Pirates bowed out of first grade and under 18s on the same day, when both lost the final, which Worboys said was ‘a bit disappointing - but that’s footy I guess.’

Earlier he captained the Group Three under 18s.

For good measure Worboys also represented NSW Combined High Schools in the National Touch (football) League.

Worboys alternates between halfback, five-eighth and fullback and he said that’s where the Raiders are looking at playing him. He’s signed for two years, conceding that’s a long time to be further than walking distance away from the beach.

“Yeah, maybe I’ll have to swap a surfboard for a snowboard,’’ he said with a grin.

Source: Manning River Times