Topic: Canberra's Reece has something to prove in Bega

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Canberra's Reece has something to prove in Bega
« on: February 18, 2011, 11:05:06 AM »
Canberra's Reece has something to prove in Bega

Incumbent Canberra Raiders winger Reece Robinson wants to make a selection statement in tomorrow night's NRL trial against the Melbourne Storm in Bega.

For the first time in his stop-start NRL career, the 23-year-old speedster begins a season having been in the starting 13 the previous year.

But with Blake Ferguson's much-vaunted arrival from the Cronulla Sharks in the off-season, Robinson knows the pressure's on to retain his place.

Ferguson will miss both the Raiders' trial games with a fractured finger, giving Robinson first crack at the starting winger's berth.

Junior Kiwi international Drury Low, veteran David Milne and James Stuart are also in the running to join Queensland Emerging Origin squad member Daniel Vidot as Canberra's pairing on the flanks.

''Saturday's trial is pretty important for me,'' Robinson said.

''Playing a bit last season gave me a bit of confidence.

''Hopefully I can do well and keep my spot.''

Robinson played just five games in his first year at the Raiders last season.

For the majority of the year he bided his time in the Queensland Cup, training with the Raiders squad during the week before flying north to play with Souths-Logan Magpies.

That's how it appeared Robinson's year would end.

An urgent SOS summoning him back from Sydney, where he was registering his car, changed all that.

A four-try haul against the North Queensland Cowboys in round 25 Canberra's penultimate game of the regular season solidified Robinson's place during the finals.

Robinson knows better than most how fleeting opportunities can be.

After playing 13 games for the Brisbane Broncos in his debut season, Robinson was cut.

He spent the next year in the NSW Cup wilderness, playing park football for the North Sydney Bears the feeder club for South Sydney.

For more on this story, see the print edition of today's Canberra Times

TOMORROW

Canberra Raiders v Melbourne Storm at Bega, 7pm. Squads Raiders: Glen Buttriss, Jarrod Croker, Danny Galea, Jarrad Kennedy, Bronson Harrison, Haydon Hodge, Shaun Fensom, Mark Ioane, Drury Low, Nathan Massey, Sam Mataora, Josh McCrone, Josh Miller, David Milne, Mark Nicholls, Joe Picker, Michael Picker, Reece Robinson, David Shillington, Nick Skinner, James Stuart, Trevor Thurling, Dane Tilse, Daniel Vidot, Sam Williams, Travis Waddell, Brett White. Storm: Dane Chisholm, Matt Duffie, Chase Stanley, Dane Nielsen, Anthony Quinn, Maurice Blair, Gareth Widdop, Troy Thompson, Ryan Hinchcliffe, Jesse Bromwich, Adam Blair, Todd Lowrie, Kevin Proctor, Justin O'Neill, Atelea Vea, Elijah Niko, Sika Manu, Adam Woolnough, Robbie Rochow, Jaiman Lowe, Sisa Waqa, Mitchell Johnson, Sione Kite, Rory Kostjasyn, Tu'u Maori.

Source: The Canberra Times