Topic: Lasscock crowned fairest of them all

Raidercast

• Raidercast Commentary Team
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Lasscock crowned fairest of them all
« on: September 30, 2011, 07:44:13 PM »
Lasscock crowned fairest of them all

QUEANBEYAN Blues prop Jay Lasscock says he isn’t holding his breath an NRL club will come calling during the off-season despite another standout showing in this year’s Canberra Raiders Cup.

Lasscock was recognised for his tireless 2011 campaign in the Blues front row at the club’s presentation night last Friday, taking out the honour as first grade’s best and fairest.

The 23-year-old missed just two games for the beaten grand finalists all season, both while on representative duty with NSW Country.

Lasscock was previously a part of the Canberra Raiders Jersey Flegg under-20s side and represented the NRL club in a preseason trial game against the Gold Coast Titans in 2008.

Coincidently, the Queanbeyan junior lined up against future Blues teammate Dennis Gordon in that match with Gordon a member of the Titans development program at the time.

But Lasscock said he wasn’t expecting to receive a call up back to that level any time soon.

“It’d be nice if something came up but at this stage I haven’t heard too much so I’m not really expecting anything,” he said.

“It’d be good to get some interest from the NRL or even some of the feeder teams but at this stage I’m just trying to play good footy.”

Lasscock finished well clear of second placed Jordan Hammond in the best and fairest voting after having previously taken out the same award in 2009.

Hammond however, didn’t go home empty handed and took out the player’s player accolade in his first year with the club.

The 22-year-old suffered a disappointing end to his season earlier this month after being forced from the field due to injury in the side’s grand final loss to the Queanbeyan Kangaroos.

After finishing the year as the Blues’ top try scorer in the grade, Graham Moa was awarded as the club’s reserve grade player of the year with Geoff Huriwai player’s player.

And in the under-18s, prop Aidan Woods (player of the year) and Jacob O’Connell (player’s player) took home the club’s top honours.

Source: The Queanbeyan Age