Topic: Raiders may lose Williams for Warriors clash

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Raiders may lose Williams for Warriors clash
« on: August 27, 2012, 02:56:17 PM »
Former Warrior Shaun Berrigan has put his hand up to play in the halves against his old club should young playmaker Sam Williams be ruled out for the Raiders' final regular NRL season clash on Sunday.

Williams was taken off the field during Canberra's 34-6 whitewash of Canterbury with a left shoulder injury and scans on Monday will reveal the extent of the damage.

Canberra coach David Furner confirmed Williams had suffered some damage to the trapezius muscle and admitted he was toying with some options if doctors rule the youngster needs a spell on the sidelines.

"There are two options to go into that position, but I think I want to find out where Sammy is today as to whether I'll be wrestling with the idea of who takes his place," Furner said.

Josh Dugan has been used in the halves this season, but with the fullback playing one of his best games in the No.1 jersey in round 25, Furner would be hard-pressed to send the star back out of his comfort zone.

Berrigan looms as the most likely choice, having replaced Williams in the last quarter of the Bulldogs' game.

"It's early in the week (but) wherever Dave needs me, I'll put my hand up and play my best," he said.

"I'm just happy being in the team."

While utilised off the bench for the past two months, the veteran utility has nonetheless been a smart recruit for the Raiders this year, ably plugging gaps in the centres and halves.

And after stints with Brisbane and the Warriors, he's looking forward to playing another round of finals football in September, a scenario the Raiders are planning to lock in this weekend against the Warriors in Auckland.

They've won four in a row to turn around their season's fortunes, which five weeks ago appeared set for a premature end.

"There's a lot of young guys in this team and I suppose it just took a while for the penny to drop," Berrigan said.

"But we've just stuck at it all year.

"Any team that doesn't make the finals in this day and age will see it as a failure.

"We've just got to focus on this weekend and if we win, we're in there."

AAP

Source: Rugby League

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 03:45:11 PM by Archie »