Topic: Canberra Raiders Cup Round 6 Preview: Queanbeyan Blues V Queanbeyan Roos

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Queanbeyan Blues (1) v Queanbeyan Kangaroos (4) on Saturday at 3:00pm at Seiffert Oval

It there’s one match that you can always count on for a few fireworks it’s the local Queanbeyan derby between the Blues and the Kangaroos.

Players from both sides are bitter adversaries on the field but also great mates off it, however with bragging rights on the line and more importantly two competition points, the players won’t be holding anything back come Saturday.

“We’re expecting a few fireworks because it’s the local derby but we take every game the same because at the end of the day you’ve got to beat every team in the comp,” said Kangaroos Captain-Coach Aaron Gorrell.

“There’s a bit of rivalry on the field and I’m sure it will be every man for himself out there but off it we’re all great mates. We’ll be fired up for the match and they will be too.”

After finishing last year as runners up after winning the premiership in 2010-11, the Kangaroos have found themselves sitting in 4th position on the ladder after an inconsistent five rounds.

“We’re going ok at the moment but we’re very patchy and there’s a lot of improvement that we need to work on,” said Gorrell. “Last week [against Woden] we put together a good opening 40 minutes but went to sleep in the second half and just cruised over the line. We need to learn how to play for the entire 80 minutes.

“The Blues are a quality team and hopefully our forwards are up for the challenge and are able to get over the top of their pack so our backs can score some points. They’ve got a quality side with a few players that have played at the top level so we’ll have to be at our best.”

The Kangaroos will have to keep an eye on Blues centre Tyler Stevens. The rugby union convert is yet to play in the much-hyped Queanbeyan clash however that lack of experience won’t affect him one iota.

Stevens’ stellar start to the year has seen him score 10 tries in just five games and gain selection in the Canberra Region representative team.

“I’ve never played in the Queanbeyan rugby league derby before so this game will be my first experience,” said Stevens. “Training has been nothing different to any other week but in the back of our heads we know it’s going to be a big game because of the rivalry between the two sides.

“Regardless of the rivalry it’s a top four clash so it will be a big game anyway. It will probably be the biggest rugby league game that I’ve played in so far.

“I always wanted to give rugby league a shot while I’m still young and I’ve enjoyed the change. I grew up playing rugby league but switched over to union in high school.

“It’s been good with the team that the Blues have put together this year and having quality players inside and outside me like Herbie [Marc Herbert]. They make my job easier and having Simon Woolford as coach has been good, he’s given me a lot of good points to work on.”

Source: Raiders Press Release