Topic: Young Raiders Determined to Deny Manly

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Young Raiders Determined to Deny Manly
« on: February 08, 2012, 01:36:43 PM »
Young Raiders up to challenge

CHRIS Hart and Lachlan Croker wore bruises after the under 16s Raiders 48- 0 trial loss to the Penrith Panthers on Saturday.

DETERMINED: Chris Hart and Lachlan Croker.

The pair is determined to deny Manly the same opportunity to inflict damage when the Harold Matthews regular season kicks-off this weekend.

Hart, from Goulburn, and Croker, who hails from Crookwell, will line-up for the young Raiders in their round one showdown with the Sea Eagles at Queanbeyan’s Seiffert Oval on Saturday.

Hart, a fullback, will be in the firing line. Getting upended is part of the 73 kilogram flyer’s job. Provided he chews up plenty of kick-return metres and avoids handling errors, he can be satisfied he’s kept his teammates in the hunt for victory.

“If we go into the game with a lot of confidence, we should be all right,” said the Trinity Catholic College year 11 student, who commutes to Canberra three times a week for training.

“We came out against Penrith lacking confidence and they intimidated us with their size.”

Hart handles his share of pressure during a game. Not only does he run the ball into the teeth of oncoming defence, he’s responsible for goal kicking duties.

The workload doesn’t usually overawe the teenager.

“I guess I try and block [negative thoughts] out. I focus on what I’m trying to do. I’m not one of the biggest fullbacks, so I have to play like that.”

Croker shoulders plenty of responsibility, too.

The ball-player from Crookwell needs to be on song if the Raiders are to reverse their scoreless effort against Penrith.

Croker was effective as an interchange and could prove dangerous against a tiring Manly forward pack on Saturday.

Meantime aspiring representative footballers unofficially commence their rugby league season this weekend.

The Goulburn Stockmen is holding the first of its player musters at North Park from 1pm on Saturday.

Source: Goulburn Post