Topic: David Furner to return as Sheens' assistant for Australia

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
David Furner to return as Sheens' assistant for Australia
« on: October 05, 2011, 08:01:39 PM »
Beau Scott replaces Glenn Stewart in Four Nations squad

ST George Illawarra back rower Beau Scott has been called into Australia's Four Nations squad after Glenn Stewart withdrew for personal reasons.

Scott joins winger Darius Boyd as the only Dragons named in the squad.

The Kangaroos play New Zealand in Newcastle on October 16 before traveling to the United Kingdom on October 21 for the Four Nations.

As revealed by The Daily Telegraph, Glenn Stewart informed Australian Rugby League chief executive Geoff Carr yesterday that he would not be able to tour, citing compassionate grounds. His scratching was formally accepted this morning.

Stewart has requested that his reasons for not touring be kept private, confirming only that they are personal.

The ARL has accepted the player's reasons.

His decision to miss the England tour has nothing to do with his or his brother Brett's ongoing battles with the NRL administration, a fact the ARL was keen to promote.

Stewart's loss is a big blow to the Kangaroos.

He was the standout backrower this season and was a strong chance of winning the Dally M Medal until his controversial suspension following the Brookvale Brawl in round 25.

While he finished on 18 points, if he had not lost the nine points due to the suspension he received (which effectively put him on 27 points), plus been able to poll points in the final two rounds that he effectively missed, he would have been a strong chance of overtaking Billy Slater's winning tally of 30 points.

That said, Sheens believes Scott's physical style and ability to also play in the centres makes him an ideal choice in English conditions for the tour.

"He was 18th man for this year's mid-year Test, had a good season and was unlucky to miss out on original selection,'' Sheens said.

"He is the sort of player you want, he can play centre at a pinch, his State of Origin appearances have seen him progress.

"You need to be able to look after yourself in England and be strong in defence and watching him from afar, I have been very impressed and was happy to support the selectors' decision.''

Sheens admitted there were fitness clouds hanging over some members of the squad, with South Sydney centre Greg Inglis the biggest concern due to an ankle injury.

"The most notable is Inglis, but I am not going to start speculating about what might or might not happen, at the moment it is work in progress with Greg,'' Sheens said.

The veteran coach is yet to speak to Stewart, but respected his decision to withdraw from the squad, which leaves Sydney on October 21 for the UK.

"I know the reasons why he's pulled out, they are private and very genuine,'' he said.

"It is something he has had to weigh up with his family and discuss.

"At some stage I will give him a call, but at the moment I'm trying to put the team together.''

Canberra coach David Furner will return as Sheens' assistant for the tour having temporarily stepped down from the role this year.

Furner quit following the Raiders seventh successive defeat in May, but will once again link-up with the squad after missing the mid-year Test on the Gold Coast.

Source: The Herald Sun