Topic: Harrison untroubled by talk of Raiders' captaincy

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Harrison untroubled by talk of Raiders' captaincy
« on: December 07, 2011, 07:05:03 PM »
Harrison untroubled by Raiders' captaincy

BRONSON Harrison has taken an oath to lead Canberra next season - regardless of whether he is elected as their new captain by coach David Furner.

Harrison is in the running to take over from the retired Alan Tongue alongside five-eighth Terry Campese, and while he skippered the side last season in Tongue's absence he admits he will not be eyeing off the role for 2012.

“Not particularly,” Harrison said of whether he wanted the captaincy role.

“I don’t think to lead a team you need a 'C' next to your name.

“Whoever the coach goes with I’ll be happy to support and do my best in the same role I do every week.”

Having overcome a shoulder injury earlier in the year, the 26-year-old is on track for the February trials in Wagga and Albury.

The Kiwi international joined the Raiders in 2009 following five seasons at the Wests Tigers and after a slow start to pre-season training, Harrison is finally hitting his strides.

“I had some surgery and a few little hiccups but getting good now and looking to get 100 percent,” he said.

“Surgery on my knee and just a couple of injections in the back and calf.

“I get it all over and done with now that hopefully come season time I’ll be 100 percent (and) probably fitter than what I’ve been in previous years so I’m looking forward to it.

“I’m just really looking forward to getting back into some games and into the full training schedule.”

Having missed out on representing the Kiwi’s in the Four Nations competition in England, Harrison admits while he loves representing his country, his key goal is to perform for the Raiders and international duties should follow.

“My main focus will be with the raiders and get off on a good start,” he said.

“Hopefully the international duties will settle itself.”

Harrison and his teammates made a $14,400 presentation to the Cerebral Palsy Alliance in Canberra for their 2011 Points for Cash program.

The Points for Cash program was funded by The Tradies Club, where $200 was donated to the CPA every time the Raiders scored a try, kicked a goal or kicked a field goal at Canberra Stadium during the season.

The Raiders players went to the CPA headquarters in Spence to present the cheque to the Alliance and the forward said it was a great thrill to be able to hand over the money and help their community.

“After last year we really want to turn things around and get the whole community behind us,” he said.

“The boys have been working hard to give back.

“I know a lot of issues have been close to heart with the boys especially this one is a great cause.

“The more we give back the better it’s going to be for everyone who is involved with us.”

Source: Sports News First