Topic: White Given "Wonderful Honour" of Officially Opening Dalgety Show

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Raider Brett White to open Dalgety Show

AS CANBERRA celebrates its centenary, Dalgety too remembers its role in the beginning of our national capital. In 1904 Dalgety was confirmed as the site for the Nation's future capital, and remained so for four years until in 1908 the House of Representatives selected Yass-Canberra as the site over Dalgety, 39 votes to 33.

One hundred years later, almost to the day, after the construction of Canberra began, the annual Dalgety Show will celebrate this link with Canberra by inviting local football hero, come Canberra Raider, Brett White to officially open the show.

"It's such a wonderful honour" said White, who was asked by the Chairman of the Board of Canberra Raiders after receiving the request from the Dalgety Show Society. White said it is a big thing for himself as he remembers going to the show as a kid. "I did paintings at school and entered them to be judged at the show, we would go along to look at them," he said.

Mr White has another important link to the show, as the famous Dalgety Show Tug-o-War is named in honour of his grandfather, Arthur Costello. "That this event still holds his name is a wonderful thing. I am so proud. I was very close to him and he has influenced my football career" he said.

Fortunately the Dalgety Show falls in the Canberra Raider's week off training, so White is free to come to the show although recent knee rehabilitation may keep him from participating in the Tug-O-War event.

He is really looking forward to the event and is keen to meet people.

The 69th Dalgety Show will be held on Sunday March 3, returning after a one year hiatus due to the 2012 floods.

The show will have all usual favourite displays and competitions including the wood chop, sheep dog trials and the all important Tug-of-War that will see female and male teams battle it out for the trophy.

The Dalgety Show is a great day out for families. For more information and competition entry forms visit the Show's website www.dalgetyshow.com.au

Source: http://www.summitsun.com.au/story/1239193/raider-brett-white-to-open-dalgety-show/?cs=1257