Topic: Raiders win one of our best: Campese

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Raiders win one of our best: Campese
« on: May 06, 2013, 12:53:02 PM »
Canberra skipper Terry Campese has bluntly rated his own performance probably the worst of his career while describing his team's away win over NRL premiers Melbourne as one of the best.

The Raiders ended the Storm's 15 NRL match winning streak on Saturday night with a 24-20 victory, despite lining up without star players David Shillington (ribs), Josh Papalii (knee), Jarrod Croker (knee) and Joel Thompson (toe).

Their backs were slammed further against the wall following a foot injury to Tom Learoyd-Lahrs within the first five minutes and a concussion to Joe Picker.

Yet the Raiders snapped a five-match away game losing streak in what was their third consecutive victory at Melbourne's AAMI Park.

"That's definitely up there with one of our best, we were playing against easily the form team of the competition," Campese said on Monday.

"We haven't performed too well away from home but we knew we'd have to turn that around if we wanted to give this competition a crack."

However Campese wasn't so flattering when assessing his first game back in the starting side in over 12 months.

"Probably the worst I've ever played to be honest," he said.

"Definitely, I owed the boys a few beers after the game for how I played.

"Everything I tried on the weekend didn't work. A few miscued kicks and passes but that's something I can work on during the week for the Newcastle match."

The ninth-placed Raiders return to Canberra to take on the fifth-placed Knights on Sunday with momentum suddenly in their favour.

Not only are they unbeaten at Canberra Stadium this year, but there's also the possibility that Shillington, Papalii, Thompson and Learoyd-Lahrs could return.

"They'll all be throwing up their hand to be back, but I'm not 100 per cent sure," said Campese.

"Newcastle's strength is in their forwards ... so hopefully we can have all troops on deck."

On the other side of the ledger, Knights playmaker Jarrod Mullen is battling a knee injury he aggravated in his side's golden point loss to the Sharks on Sunday.

Source: http://au.rd.yahoo.com/sport/rss/rugbyleague/*http%3A//au.sports.yahoo.com/league/news/article/-/17031266/raiders-win-one-of-our-best-campese/
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 10:09:32 PM by RNA »