Topic: Talking Points: NRL round five

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Talking Points: NRL round five
« on: April 11, 2011, 12:00:53 PM »
Talking Points: NRL round five
11 April 2011, 10:10 am

The perfect Storm, the woeful Eels and the disappointing Raiders headline this week's NRL Talking Points.

ACT - Are Canberra Toast?

It’s normally tempting to go against Phil Gould, but it was hard to disagree with him when he described Canberra as the most disappointing team of the season. The Green Machine were in everyone's top eights at the start of the year, but a win against Cronulla is all they have to show for their season so far. Matt Orford's return to the NRL has been a disaster and the absence of the injured Terry Campese is hurting more than most thought it would.

Is it too early to write the Raiders off? Will they play finals footy this year?

LATEST COMMENTS FROM FANS:

Scott says: I think it is a little to early to write them off, but I'm not surprised where they are sitting at this point in the season.  Everyone thought Matt Orford would be good, but i believe that they should have let Mcrone take more control, and get the young up and comers to help out.  Mcrone in my opinion plays better when he his the main man, not second fiddle.  The signing of Orford just showed the little faith that the Raiders have in him.  The Raiders have got where they are buy using their players that they have developed, not with "big name" signings.  Add a few "big names" and it throws out the team cohesion that they already had.  Even without Campese, they would have been 3 from 4 at least.  The worst thing that happens to the Raiders is the end of a season, then they start back on the go slow, and build up to a great end then have it stop again.  A vicious cycle, but one I'm sorry to say as a long term Raiders fan, I'm getting used to.

Loyal cog in Green Machine says: As a long-time and continually loyal Raiders fan I have to say - something needs to change at the Raiders.  In fact - many things.  It has to be obvious now that the Furner and Furner show has to come to an end.  Don Furner Jr. has step down as CEO and the board needs new blood.  David Furner needs to go as coach.  While I thank David Furner for all his service as a player - he is not a first grade coach.  He basically did no apprenticeship and it is showing.  While a mountain of talent has come out of the Raiders junior ranks for the past 15 years, we have literally nothing to show for it except some junior titles.  Since 1995 the Raiders have not made a preliminary final.  Along with Souths they are the only team to not have played in one. Since 1994 the Raiders have not played in a grand final. Along with Souths and the Gold Coast we are the only team not to have played in one.  This is too long a period of poor results. Things need to change at the Raiders.  The Raiders need a new board, a new coach (Michael Maguire would be a great acquisition!) and a new attitude.  If we continue with the current regime all that will happen is our players will show promise but not get the glory and end up signing with clubs who actually have a chance of winning a title.  That has happened for 15 years now and will keep happening until we change things at the top and work our way down to the coaching and training staff.  I used to be sick of Broncos fans who seemingly weren't happy unless they won a premiership - but I think it is that kind of demand from your fans that will drive a club to success.  Canberra fans need to rally, find our voice and not be content with mediocrity. It is time for Raiders fans to DEMAND SUCCESS! Rise up Raiders fans and let management know we need to be heard! We DEMAND SUCCESS!

Brendan says: There arent enough superlatives in existence to describe my disappointment in the Raiders as a team.  After round 1 I thought we had finally broken our run of poor starts to the season and would live up to our finals aspirations.  Obviously that hasnt happened and we appear to be getting worse not better.  May god have mercy on our souls if we dont improve dramatically before we have to play the competition heavyweights.

Source: FOXSPORTS.com.au | Rugby League

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 03:34:32 PM by Viking »