Topic: Better for the run, Dugan's looking to spark stalled Green Machine Read more: h

Renee

• Jason Croker
Better for the run, Dugan's looking to spark stalled Green Machine

"I've always been proud of my defence, and hopefully I can get back to that" ... Josh Dugan. Photo: Getty Images

JOSH DUGAN will continue to get more involved in the Canberra attack to take the pressure off young halves Josh McCrone and Sam Williams.

Seeing the NSW fullback last the entire 80 minutes was one of few bright spots for Raiders fans in Canberra's 26-0 loss to Melbourne on Sunday. It was the 21-year-old's first game since suffering a strained ankle in the Round 13 loss to North Queensland.

Dugan has made just seven appearances for the Raiders this season due to calf and ankle injuries. He has yet to string more than two club games together in a row.

At the team's recovery session yesterday, Dugan said his ankle was ''a little bit sore'' but was confident he would be fit to back up against St George Illawarra at Canberra Stadium on Monday night.

Dugan made a conscious effort to get his hands on the ball as often as possible in his comeback, slotting in at first and second receiver when the Raiders were pressing the Storm's try line. It's a tactic he's comfortable with and willing to expand upon as his fitness improves in the back end of the season.

''Even before I got injured I was trying to get into that first receiver role and try to take some pressure off Sammy and Joshy,'' Dugan said. ''Being back, I don't think it's going to be any different … it'll help the team if I do it.''

Dugan had a hand in the Raiders' first two tries against the Cowboys before he limped off the field midway through the first half. His attacking spark will be crucial in penetrating the Dragons' defensive line - the best in the competition.

But Dugan proved he can deny tries as well as set them up, stopping Storm winger Matt Duffie on Sunday with a terrific ball-and-all tackle when the Kiwis international looked certain to get over the stripe.

''Duffie burnt me on that same play in Melbourne, and I didn't want to make the same mistake,'' Dugan said. ''I've always been proud of my defence, and hopefully I can get back to that.''

Dugan believes it will take another game or two before he is fully fit, and Raiders coach David Furner echoed those sentiments.

''By his standards, there's a little bit of execution there [to improve] … but it's only his seventh game of the season,'' Furner said. ''He'll be better for the run.''

Source: smh.com.au