Topic: Sam Williams has chance to nail down halfback spot at Canberra Raiders

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Sam Williams has chance to nail down halfback spot at Canberra Raiders

SAM Williams has not been around the NRL long, but he knows enough that another starring performance for Canberra tomorrow night will help him retain the No. 7 jumper - and all but consign Matt Orford to the humble Queensland Cup.

Williams has a golden opportunity to shine at halfback against the Bulldogs while big off-season recruit Orford overcomes injury.

The 20-year-old Williams yesterday made no secret of the fact he wants to be a permanent fixture in the club's NRL outfit.

His admission came on the same day forward Tom Learoyd-Lahrs revealed he had a quad tear, which was only picked up by medicos while he awaited scans to his cheekbone and eye socket.

Learoyd-Lahrs thought he had suffered a cork in the City-Country clash, but could not run on Tuesday, before he was told he had a slight tear.

The international prop remains hopeful to return for the round 13 clash against the Cowboys.

As for the battle with Orford and the No. 7 jumper, Williams said: "I think 'Ox' still has a lot to offer the team and it's unfortunate that he's had a few injuries because he was starting to find form.

"But if I'm playing well and we're winning, that will at least put me in good stead for when [future] teams are named. If you're winning it's hard to change a team. So the ball is in my court more.

STAND UP FOR NSW - CLICK ON THE TOMMY ARMY LINK ON THE SPORT HOME PAGE TO SIGN UP

"I'd be silly not to try to make the No. 7 my own. Every game you go into you're given an opportunity, and if you play well enough it puts forward a case for you to stay."

Williams, who was a late call-up for the shock win over Melbourne on the weekend - a victory on the road that ended an eight-match losing streak for Canberra - said he felt more comfortable playing with five-eighth Josh McCrone.

He said he continued to work hard with McCrone and knew there were plenty of dangers in the Bulldogs line-up, including Jamal Idris and Ben Barba.

Source: The Herald Sun