Topic: CRRL: Ottaway and Wood feature in historic clash

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
CRRL: Ottaway and Wood feature in historic clash
« on: May 19, 2017, 01:09:37 PM »
   The inaugural Harvey Norman NSW Women’s City-Country Shield was played last Sunday in Sydney as the City girls ran in 20-8 winners over Country.

Two girls from the Canberra region were chosen to play for Country, Samantha Wood from Queanbeyan Blues and Jennaya Ottaway from Goulburn Stockmen.

Reflecting on the experience to play at such a high level, prop Jennaya Ottaway believes the clash was of a higher intensity than she is used to.

“It was really good, it was different playing a much faster and more physical game against the city girls,” Ottaway said.

Ottaway believes that getting a taste of the City-Country game has left her wanting to play more representative football, with the future goal of making the New South Wales team.

“Hopefully the goal is next year to make the same side again and hopefully do really well and to potentially make the New South Wales side,” she said.

Believing it was a massive surprise to be named in the team, Queanbeyan player Samantha Wood insists that it was great to be a part of the clash.

“To be honest from the beginning it was a very big surprise to get named in the team, I started on the bench but when I came I took the opportunity and it was great to be a part of it”, Wood said.

Wood, who only played rugby league occasionally as a kid was playing soccer before she decided to play league again. Her game for Country was her fifth rugby league match since coming back to the sport.

With both girls having known each other from the Open Women’s Tackle competition and the Canberra Raiders Women’s side, Ottaway insists it was good to have a familiar face around the team in Samantha.

“It was good, a lot of the other girls all knew each other and played against or with each other before, so it was good having one other person that didn’t know anyone else, that I knew, so that made me feel comfortable,” Ottaway said.

Article written by Ricky Kelly

More: http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=7-1084-0-0-0&sID=13485&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=55592513