Topic: No overseas offers for Monaghan

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
No overseas offers for Monaghan
« on: November 09, 2010, 08:46:53 AM »
No overseas offers for Monaghan
9 November 2010, 8:00 am

The manager of disgraced Canberra Raiders player Joel Monaghan says his client has not received an offers to play rugby league in England.

Monaghan's immediate football career collapsed last week after a photo was posted on the internet showing him in a lewd act with a dog.

The Raiders board was due to make an decision on his playing future on Monday, but chose to wait until they met with the player and his manager.

The board will meet later today.

There have been reports that Monaghan will quit the club and move overseas rather than be sacked.

But his manager Jim Banaghan, who flew into Canberra last night, says there are no offers from the UK Super League at this stage.

Raiders chief executive Don Furner said the club's board would take into consideration the views and interests of the senior playing group when it meets to decide his future.

Monaghan has described the incident as a moment of madness and apologised for the offence it has caused.

Captain Alan Tongue says he will support Monaghan whether he stays with the club or goes.

"I would support Joel if the club decided to keep him on board. I know we would come under some fair criticism but I'd be happy to help him, help Joel as a person and really try to help him overcome this problem," he said.

"It's going to be really difficult for him to overcome for the rest of his life."

But Tongue says his team-mate would probably be better off pursuing his career overseas.

"[He's] a local Canberra boy, and he loves Canberra and loves the Raiders which is disappointing to maybe see him end on that note," he said.

"But I think for him to get away and start afresh and start the healing process with himself, I think the best case scenario would be to get away overseas and play some good footy and let things die down over here a bit."

Monaghan's brother, Michael, plays in the UK Super League for Warrington, but travelling so far afield is no guarantee he will escape the incident as the story has captured attention across the globe.

Monaghan has started working with the life coach who helped Todd Carney turn his life around in the hope she may also be able to rehabilitate his reputation.

The NRL is closely monitoring the Raiders' response to the incident.

Monaghan faces the prospect of not only being sacked by Canberra but also being de-registered by the NRL, ensuring he cannot play rugby league in Australia.

-ABC/AAP

Source: Tag: Rugby League - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)