Topic: Queanbeyan Blues rested and ready for semi-final showdown

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Queanbeyan Blues rested and ready for semi-final showdown
« on: August 27, 2011, 03:51:35 PM »
Queanbeyan Blues rested and ready for semi-final showdown

THEY haven’t played since August 6 and tasted defeat in their last three games.

But the Queanbeyan Blues will go into this weekend’s clash with the Belconnen Scholars just one win away from the Canberra Raiders Cup grand final.

A victory on Sunday at the West Belconnen Leagues Club would see the Blues earn their first shot at the first-grade title since 2008.

It would also go a long way toward silencing the critics who have all but written the side off. Battered and bruised, the Blues limped through the final rounds of the regular season.

With backline stars Justin Giteau and Dennis Gordon facing a week-to-week battle to find fitness and forwards Adam Taylor and Phil Stonham on the sidelines, the competition heavyweights faded late.

Three weeks after their last game however, coach Adam Doyle reckons the Blues are shaping up nicely for a championship tilt.

“We weren’t playing that well at the back end of the season but to be fair I don’t think we played that badly either,” he said.

“We’ve come up with a few injuries but the last couple of weeks have been good for us and I’m expecting a few of the boys to click this weekend,’’ he said.

“Justin’s back at 100 per cent and Dennis has freshened up well for the semis after all the niggles he’s had during the year so we’re quietly confident.”

The Scholars will be able to take plenty of confidence of their own into Sunday’s major semi-final having beaten the Blues 34-18 the last time the two sides met in round 16.

Belconnen five-eighth Matt Gafa looms as the minor premiers’ main threat both with the boot and ball in hand.

And Doyle said shutting down the former Canberra Raiders utility would be crucial.

“Everything from them pretty much comes off Gafa, he’ll do all their kicking and direct them in general play so we’ll have to be switched on to deal with him,” he said.

A Blues loss would set up a blockbuster elimination final next weekend between the Blues and local rivals the Queanbeyan Kangaroos.

Source: The Queanbeyan Age