Topic: Raiders NRL skipper Tongue to retire

Renee

• Jason Croker
Raiders NRL skipper Tongue to retire
« on: August 18, 2011, 03:53:58 PM »
Raiders NRL skipper Tongue to retire

Canberra captain Alan Tongue has announced his retirement at the end of the 2011 NRL season.

Canberra captain Alan Tongue has announced his retirement at the end of the 2011 NRL season.

The 30-year-old Tongue has endured a frustrating season, plagued by niggling injuries while his team has struggled to be a distant 14th on the ladder and in danger of collecting the wooden spoon after big things were expected.

A wholehearted player and leader, Tongue said he'd given his all in his 12 seasons of first grade with the Raiders and was confident he'd made the right call to forego the remaining year on his contract in 2012.

'I can say with pride that I've given everything I can to the club, to my team-mates and to the Raiders jersey,' said Tongue, announcing his retirement on Wednesday.

'I'm at peace with the decision and I know it's time to finish my playing career.'

The 30-year-old Tamworth junior has captained the club since 2007 and will play his 218th game when the Raiders meet last-placed Gold Coast in what looms as a crucial wooden spoon game on Saturday.

Tongue won the Dally M captain and lock of the year in 2008 and has represented his state in the NSW Country Origin team.

Source: bigpondnews.com