Topic: Williams ready for top flight after trial

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Williams ready for top flight after trial
« on: March 01, 2011, 12:27:34 PM »
Williams ready for top flight after trial

Up-and-coming halfback Sam Williams has declared he won't let the Canberra Raiders down if given a stunning NRL debut.

The Junior Kangaroo and Canberra's under-20s captain strengthened his top-grade credentials with an assured performance in the Raiders' 30-18 trial loss to the Canterbury Bulldogs at Tamworth on Saturday night.

While admitting he's far from the finished product, the 19-year-old said his injection in the second half, when he scored the Raiders' first try and set up another, had given him the belief he wouldn't be a liability in Canberra's season-opener against the Cronulla Sharks on March 13.

''I'd like to think that experience [on Saturday night] gave me a lot of confidence,'' Williams said.

''Sort of showed I can match it if need be.

''But there's a lot to work on and there's a lot of areas I can still improve, so I've just got to get back to training and knuckle down.''

Williams would be the logical replacement if veteran playmaker Matt Orford fails to recover from a knee injury in time.

The 32-year-old Dally M medallist has missed Canberra's two trial games, and hasn't played a game since injuring his shoulder while with the Bradford Bulls last May.

Williams has seemingly leapfrogged Michael Picker in the Raiders' halves pecking order.

Picker spent last season with the Raiders' Queensland Cup feeder club Souths Logan Magpies.

And while the younger brother of second-rower Joe Picker has been solid in the trials, Williams has taken the points in their positional battle.

Williams' combination with halves partner Josh McCrone is steadily improving.

McCrone played the entire 80 minutes against the Bulldogs as coach David Furner tested how he played alongside firstly Picker, then Williams.

''We had a bit [of] trouble there on Thursday at training, but the more we train and the more we play together it's getting better and better,'' Williams said.

''I think it's just a combination we need to work on.

''The more and more we do more ballwork and more games that's going to improve.

''I felt a lot more comfortable out there [on Saturday] than I did last week.

''I'm sure if I get another opportunity that it's only going to improve.

''I'd like to say I can put my hand up, but we'll just see what the coaches have to say.''

Williams admits he is still coming to terms with the extra physicality of first grade.

''You've just got to be a lot more committed in defence, and that's one area I think I can still work on,'' he said.

''Saying that too, it's a great opportunity for a young fella like myself to have a game in the trials and put my hand up and hopefully I did that.''

For more on this story, including a look at who could start at dummy-half, see the print edition of today's Canberra Times.

Source: The Canberra Times
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:24:46 PM by Viking »