Topic: Mark Gasnier's retirement could open door for St George to chase Dugan

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Mark Gasnier's retirement could open the door for St George Illawarra to chase Canberra's Josh Dugan

Mark Gasnier's shock retirement could open the door for St George Illawarra to chase Canberra superstar Josh Dugan.

Gasnier on Thursday revealed his mind was made up to retire from rugby league at the end of 2011 before he started pre-season training, and believes his departure will not leave a gaping hole in the Dragons' roster.

The 29-year-old centre is now hoping his fairytale return to St George Illawarra mid-way through the 2010 season will end with back-to-back premierships and an Australia farewell in Tim Sheens's Kangaroos side for the Four Nations tournament beginning in October.

Gasnier is contracted with the Dragons until the end of the 2014 season, but said it was always unlikely he would have been able to play out the contract he signed in 2010.

The NSW representative, who is the nephew of Dragons great Reg Gasnier, admitted he could not commit himself to another NRL season and felt it was only fair to the Dragons to quit.

"It was something I'd considered for a long time, it suits everyone involved with the decision, I can move on with the next stage of my life and the club can move on," Gasnier said. "I've known for a while. Physically I could play on for a couple of years but mentally I couldn't.

"To be on good money you need to be 100 per cent committed and, mentally, I don't think that I could do that."

Gasnier now believes the cashed-up Dragons are ideally placed to make a play for star fullback Dugan.

Mark Gasnier's Career

NRL (2000-2011)

166 games for St George Illawarra, 90 tries

ORIGIN (2004-2011)

12 games for New South Wales, four tries

AUSTRALIA (2001-2008)

15 games for Kangaroos, 11 tries

His retirement has freed up enough space in the Dragons' cap for the club to chase the top talent in the NRL, with Dugan coming off contract with the Canberra at the end of the 2012 season.

"They might choose to hold on for a year and then chase someone like Josh Dugan," Gasnier said.

"Obviously the club's done really well with (future recruits) Tim Moltzen and Chase Stanley. Josh Dugan would be a great buy as well. Personally, I'd like to see Chase get (the starting centre position)."

However, Dragons chief executive Peter Doust said his club is not chasing another outside back "as such".

Source: Fox Sports