Topic: Spoon on line for Titans and Raiders

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Spoon on line for Titans and Raiders
« on: August 19, 2011, 08:09:13 PM »
Spoon on line for Titans

The equation is simple for Gold Coast Titans - win against Canberra on Saturday night and they will be in the box seat to avoid the dreaded wooden spoon.

After a year of rotten luck, the rugby league gods are in the Titans' corner if their schedule for the last three weeks is anything to go by.

They will meet the 14th-placed Raiders at Skilled Park on Saturday with the knowledge that victory will lift them off the bottom of the ladder for at least one day.

But with by far the worst points differential in the league, they cannot afford to ease their foot off the pedal for even a second in their last two games if they want to ensure they stay clear of the spoon.

Next Monday they face a daunting away trip to take on the red-hot Wests Tigers, but they will play host to 15th-placed Parramatta the week after.

Gold Coast's destiny remains in their own hands and if they can win their remaining games, they will dodge the indignity of finishing in last place.

But even if they drop points, both Canberra and the Eels have been lumped with a far more difficult run home and results could fall the Titans' way.

After their trip to Robina, The Green Machine will welcome Penrith to the nation's capital before traveling to taken on the Bulldogs, while Parramatta have the Tigers this week and the Roosters next Friday.

But retiring veteran Preston Campbell would much rather do away with the frantic calculations and keep it simple by winning the final three games of his career.

"It's my last three games and sitting at the bottom of the table is not where I'd like to be when I finish up," said Campbell, who has been handed the captaincy for the rest of the year.

"Obviously we'd like to win all of our last three games but (we'd be happy with) two out of three, depending on other results. We'll be trying out best to get off. It's a big game."

The Raiders will carry a three-game losing streak to the Glitter Strip but Campbell won't be fooled into thinking that they will just roll over for the Coast.

"It's going to be a tough one this week, even though Canberra haven't been going all that well," he said.

"They have got a really good side on paper. Their performances haven't been telling us that but a couple weeks back they almost put Melbourne to the sword."

"They're capable of piling on the points - they have got a good side and their forwards lead very well."

"They'll be coming up with the same sort of attitude (to us). It's going to be a big test for us but we're looking forward to it. I think we'll come away with a win."

Source: