Topic: Backdown could save Raiders

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Backdown could save Raiders
« on: December 17, 2010, 04:31:16 PM »
Raiders juniors blocked by NSWRL

Canberra's most talented young rugby league players have been banned from competing in the NSWRL's junior representative competitions after the Raiders failed to enter a team in the NSW Cup in 2011.

Canberra's SG Ball (under-18) and Harold Matthews (under-16) sides have been left high and dry by the decision, with the NSWRL getting tough after years of watching the Raiders filter players not in their NRL game-day squad back into the Queensland Cup competition.

The Raiders, along with Manly, have both had associations with Queensland Cup sides for a number of years, with the cost of maintaining a NSW Cup the main reason behind the move.

But having become sick of helping develop players only to see them boost the Queensland Cup competition, the NSWRL issued an ultimatum to both Canberra and the Sea Eagles to join the NSW Cup or risk having their junior programs blocked.

Manly have heeded the order and will play in next year's NSW Cup, but the Raiders - who pulled out of a deal to send their players to play with St George Illawarra's NSW Cup affiliate Shellharbour - will maintain their link with Souths Logan outside Brisbane.

The result is that the Raiders' SG Ball side will now be forced to play in Canberra's local open-age competition, whilst their Harold Matthews side will cease to exist save for a few carnival trips to Queensland.

"It is just impractical for us to develop junior players only to have them strengthen competitions interstate," NSWRL chief executive Geoff Carr said in a statement.

"We don't want to see anyone miss out on football but clubs have to commit to a strong game-wide structure that will improve development across the state rather than focus on short term financial savings that weaken the game's structure.

"Manly were faced with the same decision and ultimately felt that our junior programs were worth supporting.

"We have received countless correspondence from clubs supporting our stance and they have all stressed the importance of a direct pathway for junior development through to open age football in the state of NSW."

Raiders officials were unavailable for comment.

The new rules could also have a direct impact on the Raiders' depth in 2011, with players given dual registration with both Canberra and Souths Logan to be blocked from returning to the Raiders after June 30.

Source: wwos.com.au top league stories

« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 06:15:53 PM by Rick »

Raidercast

• Raidercast Commentary Team
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Re: Raiders juniors blocked by NSWRL
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 05:31:55 PM »
Someone should tell Mr. Carr that the A.C.T. is already interstate from his NSWRL. Frankly what a stupid statement to make. NSW just want's to steal all of Canberra's players in a desperate attempt to be able to compete with QLD.

westbelconnen

• Mark Asbock
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 06:46:16 PM »
I know of 6 kids who play for the harrold matthews side and they have been training for several weeks 3 night a week, they are going to be shattered. However the raiders have know about this for some time and new what was going to happen,they just hoped it wouldnt.

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 11:00:28 PM »
17 December 2010, 4:37 pm

Canberra's most talented young rugby league players have been banned from competing in the NSWRL's junior representative competitions after the Raiders failed to enter a team in the New South Wales Cup in 2011.

Canberra's SG Ball (under-18) and Harold Matthews (under-16) sides have been left high and dry by the decision, with the NSWRL getting tough after years of watching the Raiders filter players not in their NRL game-day squad back into the Queensland Cup competition.

The Raiders, along with Manly, have both had associations with Queensland Cup sides for a number of years, with the cost of maintaining a NSW Cup the main reason behind the move.

But having become sick of helping develop players only to see them boost the Queensland Cup competition, the NSWRL issued an ultimatum to both Canberra and the Sea Eagles to join the NSW Cup or risk having their junior programs blocked.

Manly has heeded the order and will play in next year's NSW Cup, but the Raiders - who pulled out of a deal to send their players to play with St George Illawarra's NSW Cup affiliate Shellharbour - will maintain their link with Souths Logan outside Brisbane.

The result is that the Raiders' SG Ball side will now be forced to play in Canberra's local open-age competition, whilst their Harold Matthews side will cease to exist save for a few carnival trips to Queensland.

"It is just impractical for us to develop junior players only to have them strengthen competitions interstate," NSWRL chief executive Geoff Carr said in a statement.

"We don't want to see anyone miss out on football but clubs have to commit to a strong game-wide structure that will improve development across the state rather than focus on short term financial savings that weaken the game's structure.

"Manly were faced with the same decision and ultimately felt that our junior programs were worth supporting.

"We have received countless correspondence from clubs supporting our stance and they have all stressed the importance of a direct pathway for junior development through to open age football in the state of NSW."

Raiders officials were unavailable for comment.

The new rules could also have a direct impact on the Raiders' depth in 2011, with players given dual registration with both Canberra and Souths Logan to be blocked from returning to the Raiders after June 30.

- AAP

Source: Tag: Rugby League - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Chase94

• RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 06:35:30 PM »
They have been wanting to do this for ages the sly dogs. I don't get why they are so anti us teaming up with Logan/QLD Cup when we aren't even part of NSW. I say we just say stuff them and stay with Souths and do our own thing with the ACT comps.

AlwaysGreen

• John Ferguson
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 04:58:22 AM »
I know of 6 kids who play for the harrold matthews side and they have been training for several weeks 3 night a week, they are going to be shattered. However the raiders have know about this for some time and new what was going to happen,they just hoped it wouldnt.

Its this kind of shortsighted political agendas that is make it easier for the AFL to invade our juniors. Same as the back and forth between the Queensland League and NSW over the commission. While we bicker they poach our stars and start new teams in our heartlands. Carr et al need to pull their heads out before it is too late. While we still can.

Raidercast

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Backdown could spare Raiders
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 11:05:59 AM »
Backdown could spare Raiders
19 December 2010, 1:00 am

The Canberra Raiders hope a major backdown from the NSW Rugby League will allow them to keep their best junior players in the Harold Matthews and SG Ball competitions next year.Having announced on Friday the exclusion of Canberra teams from the NSWRL-run development competitions because of the Raiders' refusal to supply all their senior non-NRL players to NSW Cup team Shellharbour, NSWRL chairman Geoff Carr said the league had softened its stance.He said on ABC radio yesterday the Raiders would be allowed to send four players to Shellharbour and the rest to their  Queensland feeder club Souths Logan.While Carr later refused to confirm that number of players, it is understood he later told the Raiders that four players would be acceptable to the league.''If they [the Raiders] can come up with a mutually-agreed position ... I would certainly open the discussion,'' Carr said.''What happened Thursday night has nothing to do with it because today's a new day.''I spoke to Don at Byron Bay [two weeks ago] and JR [Raiders chief executive John McIntyre] at Byron Bay, and I made it clear I'd talk about Souths Logan if we could resolve NSW.''Four players is precisely the number the Raiders had proposed sending to Shellharbour as a compromise position. They had also agreed to contribute $60,000 towards Shellharbour's costs.However the NSWRL insisted in emails last week that the Raiders commit all players to the NSW Cup.While Raiders chief executive Don Furner was angered by the NSWRL's confused stance on the issue, he welcomed Carr's apparent backflip on the exclusion of the Raiders from the under-16s and under-18s competitions.''I still hold out hope.  To discriminate against our junior players would be unbelievable and I don't think they really want to do that,'' Furner said.For more, pick up a copy of today's Canberra Times

Source: The Canberra Times - Sport - Rugby League

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 01:28:36 PM »
While I don't think it is quite as dire as you do, AG, I do think that something needs to be done ASAP to strengthen our junior ranks and make rugby league the more attractive choice as a career. The Toyota Cup was a great start but it can't end there. Personally I would love to see the return of the old 2nd grade. All NRL teams would play in the same 2nd tier comp with the games to be played before the NRL and after Toyota Cup on game days. This would also allow for more NYC games to be shown live on Fox and would enable a broadcaster to also show some 2nd grade games live. The NSW/QLD/{enter state here} Cups should continue to run as completely separate competitions. Having said that I would be very sad to see the end of our proud association with Souths Logan, should my idea every become reality.

Zeus

• John Ferguson
Re: Backdown could spare Raiders
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 09:18:12 PM »
Funny the NSWRL is already backing down and so they should. Still us sending 4 of our players to help out the Dragons is unacceptable in my book. Send them all to Logan and flip Carr and co the bird.

Territorian

• Jamaal Lolesi
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 06:11:50 AM »
Ha fools Canberra isn't in NSW?!!?

Orifice

• Brad Drew
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 02:56:02 PM »
WHat an old prune! Leave us alone you twit Carr

Raidercast

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 05:22:05 PM »

That is really bad. Carr goes on about Manly toeing the line as if they somehow care more about junior development, well what about our own great junior development? We have the best juniors in the comp (see 2008 NYC Grand Final) for a reason and it's not because we play in a second rate state comp. I hope the NSWRL is fully aware of the consequences surrounding this pigheaded move, like this story westbelco has just told us about. Effectively killing our Harrold Matthews side is not junior development, its suicide.

CampoFAN

• John Ferguson
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 09:05:49 PM »
why cant we all just get alone?

Territorian

• Jamaal Lolesi
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 07:21:04 PM »
Yes we could but it's much nicer to get along instead  :D

Sorry I will show myself the door  :sign0023:

Walt Flanigan

• John Algate
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 06:43:48 AM »
Head office turf war threatens to dump 60 teenage Raiders on sideline

Glenn Jackson
December 23, 2010

Raiders juniors Jack Ahearn, Ryan Gowing and Josh Mitchell. Photo: Lannon Harley

THESE are the teenage victims of the so-called turf war between the NSW and Queensland rugby leagues - three young Canberra footballers who could be denied the chance to represent the Raiders next year because of bureaucracy.

In a decision that has left Raiders chief Don Furner fuming, the NSWRL last week barred Canberra juniors from playing in next year's Harold Matthews and SG Ball competitions. They did so because of the Raiders' reluctance to take part in an exclusive joint venture with St George Illawarra to send their players to Shellharbour in the NSW Cup.

The Raiders had insisted on sending a portion of their playing talent to Souths Logan in the Queensland Cup but the NSWRL, which does not want to be seen to be propping up a Queensland competition, rejected that proposal. And because of a recent move to ban any club's players from the junior competitions if there is no representation in the NSW Cup, up to 60 young Raiders have been left stranded.

Advertisement: Story continues below ''It's disappointing,'' said Jack Ahearn, who would have been the SG Ball team's fullback. ''This is what we've been working for. When Don told us [before training last Friday], it was hard to believe. It's really upsetting. I'm just praying they change their minds. I want to play.''

Furner has been scathing in his criticism of the NSW administration, not only because of the original decision but because of several apparent backflips.

After the board voted to reject his proposal on Thursday night, NSWRL general manager Geoff Carr softened his stance on Saturday, telling ABC Radio: ''If they [the Raiders] can come up with a mutually agreed position … I would certainly open the discussion. What happened Thursday night has nothing to do with it because today's a new day.''

So, clearly, was Tuesday, because an email subsequently lobbed into Furner's inbox which again made it clear that his ''proposal doesn't go far enough to warrant a new meeting of the board to revisit the issue''.

Thus, after a glimmer of hope, the Canberra juniors were left stranded again. ''I don't know who's running the show in there,'' Furner said yesterday. ''I've got to say, I do understand why other codes laugh at us.

''These last four days … nobody in there knows what they're doing.''

Ahearn, meanwhile, said some of his teammates were considering switching codes as a result of the ban. But he won't. ''I love the game and I'll still play it,'' he said.

However, Ryan Gowing admitted the decision had clouded his future. ''It's a weird feeling that all the powers above me can make one little decision which could affect me making the NRL one day,'' he said.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/head-office-turf-war-threatens-to-dump-60-teenage-raiders-on-sideline-20101222-195lu.html