Raidercast

• Raidercast Commentary Team
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Waddell returns to Indigenous All Stars
« on: December 27, 2010, 08:48:17 AM »
Waddell returns to Indigenous All Stars
27 December 2010, 1:00 am

As a fiercely proud indigenous Australian, Travis Waddell rates representing the Indigenous All Stars last year as one of the proudest moments of his life. The Canberra hooker will get to relive that cherished experience when he plays in the second instalment of the concept on the Gold Coast in February.

Given his public profile, Waddell views himself as a role model for the indigenous community.It is why he paid a visit to Canberra's Winnunga Nimmityjah Aboriginal Health Service in August, to help launch the NRL's ''Close the Gap'' round. Some sportspeople detest being slapped with the role model tag, but Waddell relishes it.

''I like doing stuff like that, and am doing a bit with the Raiders now,'' Waddell said.

''I go to the PCYC's and detention centre, and play sport like touch footy and basketball with them.'' Fellow Raiders Joel Thompson and Tom Learoyd-Lahrs will also line up for the Indigenous All Stars for the second straight season.On February 12, the star-laden side will look to repeat last year's first-up 16-12 victory over the NRL All Stars.

''I'm very proud of my indigenous background, so I'm pretty honoured to play in this game again,'' Waddell said.

Waddell is signed to Canberra until the end of the 2012 season. 

Source: The Canberra Times - Sport - Rugby League

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 06:26:03 PM by Rick »

Raidercast

• Raidercast Commentary Team
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Re: Waddell returns to Indigenous All Stars
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 06:30:46 PM »
I see Trav as one of the vital gears in the cog that we will need to win a premiership. That maybe obvious since hooker is such a vital role but for mine he has the energy and spark out of dummy half to drive our big guys forward and give the backs room to work with. Will be interesting to see who gets first crack at 9 and how they play with Orford next year.

AlwaysGreen

• John Ferguson
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 11:04:13 PM »
Its a vital role no doubt, and even though we all love the bloke, please no Tongue at 9. Please. Whack him at lock and let him lead us from there. Buttsie should get first dibs with Waddell on the bench at 14.

Territorian

• Jamaal Lolesi
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 04:23:43 PM »
Yeah no Tongue there and can we leave Travis to get rid of his horrid habit of forward passes at Logan too. He will be a good little hooker but he needs to fine tune a little first. Buttriss until he does.

Chase94

• RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 03:43:04 AM »
Ok people this is how it works. Buttriss will be at 9 until Waddell is ready or McIlwrich or however you spell it is better than him. This year we are slightly better off in hookers than the last few if u ask me. Looking forward to seeing litte dell in the allstars game hope he rips it up

GB7600

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 10:20:49 PM »
Waddell needs more time to get the Withers curse out of his system. Bad forward passes even at the best of times are very costly and GB is more reliable for the 80. Waddell will be something big but he needs more time.

Renee

• Jason Croker
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 10:45:27 PM »
Waddell will never get better if he does not have the chance to play in first grade. he has worked his way through the junior ranks for a few years now so i think he deserves to be given more of a chance in the nrl.

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 08:24:54 PM »
I have no doubt that Waddell will be in our NRL side for many seasons to come, all going to plan that is. He has the speed and grittiness that make a great hooker. Once he refines his game and gets rid of the lazy passes he will cement his spot. Buttriss is also no slouch and will make it very hard for Travis to stay in the NRL.