Topic: Rugby: Three-try Vatuvei looking to be more dominant

Renee

• Jason Croker
Rugby: Three-try Vatuvei looking to be more dominant
« on: July 28, 2011, 07:32:06 PM »
Rugby: Three-try Vatuvei looking to be more dominant

He might be fresh from a hat-trick, but Manu Vatuvei wants to be a more dominant force as the New Zealand Warriors look to underline their position in the National Rugby League's top eight.

In a year in which he has had to battle back from a lengthy injury spell, Vatuvei showed against South Sydney last weekend that he hadn't lost his lethal scoring ability.

The giant winger's three tries in a 48-16 win took his season's haul to eight in 11 matches.

Already the most prolific try-scorer in the Warriors' history, he lifted his career tally to 86 in 124 appearances.

Despite those statistics, Vatuvei said there was still plenty to work on in his game as the Warriors prepared to host Canberra on Sunday.

A fearsome sight running at opponents when at the top of his game, the 112kg winger wanted to put defences under more pressure when he carried the ball forward.

"I've still got a lot to improve on, like my running technique and just trying to get good play-the-balls," he said.

"Last year my dominant carries were pretty high and this year they're a bit low. Last week, I think it was my lowest for the whole year and I was disappointed with that.

"But to get three tries got my confidence up and made me want to work even harder."

Vatuvei , 25, suffered a knee injury in the opening round of the season and went on to miss the next seven matches for the Warriors, as well as the Anzac test in May.

The 19-test Kiwi then struggled with blisters caused by a combination of new boots and ankle socks rubbing against his heels.

He looked off the pace in his early matches back, but in recent weeks has started to show signs of a return to his form of old.

While his knee still needed managing, he was over his blister problem and pronounced himself in good physical shape.

"I'm feeling better now and almost where I was at the start of the season."

The Warriors sit sixth on the table ahead of the match against the Raiders.

While a victory wouldn't alter their placing - they are four points below the fifth-placed Broncos - it would take their winning streak to four and maintain their momentum heading into the business end of the campaign.

Canberra are back in 13th spot, six points outside the top-eight but not yet absolutely out of playoff contention.

They are also backing up from a stunning late upset win over defending champions St George Illawarra last Monday night.

Even without the Raiders' being buoyed by that achievement, Vatuvei was already wary of the threat they posed.

"All the teams below us we have to watch out for," he said.

"They have nothing to lose and they'll throw everything at us. We have to stop that. We all have to step up and back each other up."

Source: odt.co.nz