Topic: Two #Rabbitohs to Play Their 200th NRL Game Against Raiders on Sunday

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Merritt and Crocker to Play Games 200 This Saturday Night

Two of the Rabbitohs’ most senior players will play their 200th career NRL games, in the Club’s most important game of the season, against the Canberra Raiders on Saturday at 7:45pm at ANZ Stadium.

Co-captain Michael Crocker and favourite son Nathan Merritt will run out for their 200th NRL games in front of a massive crowd as South Sydney plays for its season in week two of the finals.

Crocker was the first of the two to make his NRL debut, playing for the Roosters against the Bulldogs at the Sydney Football Stadium in round six, 2001.

“It was a Sunday afternoon game against the Bulldogs and we had a good win,” Crocker said of the 38 points to 12 win for the Tricolours.

“My first run was a good one and I got a few raps from the commentators, then on my next run Willie Mason smashed me and they used the old line ‘Welcome to first grade, son!'"

Crocker said his goal was always to create a career in Rugby League.

“I always hoped to reach a milestone like this, but it’s taken a long time to get here,” Crocker said reaching 200 Games.

“It’s been a wonderful journey and I’ve had the pleasure of playing with, and meeting, a lot of great people.

“I’m very pleased to be running out for my 200th game in South Sydney colours.”

Crocker will achieve the feat alongside his team mate of the last four seasons, Nathan Merritt.

“It’s absolutely massive for me to be reaching this milestone alongside ‘Merro’,” Crocker said.

“I’ve always loved watching him, and I love him as a bloke.

“He means so much to this Club and to the area, particularly Redfern.

“He grew up here, he lives right across the road from Redfern Oval. He is what South Sydney is all about.

“It’s an absolute honour to achieve this milestone alongside him. It could not have worked out any better.”

Nathan Merritt is destined to go down in the South Sydney history books as one of the great players the Club has produced.

A local junior from the Alexandria Rovers, he has gone on to score 137 first grade tries in his 199 NRL games, including 129 tries in 180 appearances in the cardinal and myrtle of South Sydney.

Merritt remembers his debut, a game at Ericsson Stadium in New Zealand up against the Warriors in round nine, 2002. This, of course, was the game in which he would start his impressive collection of top-grade tries.

“I remember quite a bit about it. It’s something I don’t think I’ll ever forget,” Merritt said.

“I was named on the bench for a game in New Zealand and I came on the field at half time.

“We lost the game, but I scored a try which was pretty good.”

Merritt says he feels blessed to have played one game of first grade, let alone 199.

“I definitely didn’t think I would come this far,” Merritt reflected.

“I didn’t think I’d play one game.

“I’m pretty happy to be playing game 200 this week and it’s a very proud moment in my career.

“It’s been a long time coming, eleven years, but it’s great that I get to play it in a semi final, and of course a semi final for South Sydney.”

Merritt says to be sharing this achievement alongside one of his captains is perfect.

“To be able share this moment with ‘Crock’ is sensational,” Merritt said.

“He leads us around. He’s such an inspirational leader both on and off the field.

“To be sharing this achievement with one of our captains is a very proud moment in my career, and to share it with him in particular is something very special.”

Source: http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news-display/Merritt-and-Crocker-to-Play-Games-200-This-Saturday-Night/63920