Topic: Happiness the key to Soward's form

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Happiness the key to Soward's form
« on: August 21, 2014, 11:58:42 AM »
 Panthers playmaker Jamie Soward says the key to his career best form is the free rein he's been handed by coach Ivan Cleary, which he says has made him happier on the field than ever before.

Shifted from five-eighth to halfback following the season-ending injury of halves partner Peter Wallace seven weeks ago, Soward has gone to another level as he steers Penrith toward a cherished top four finish.

Experienced observers believe he's playing better than 2010 when he steered St George Illawarra to a premiership.

And while Soward is reluctant to talk up his form, the 29-year-old admits he is relishing the unstructured role he's been given by Cleary.

"Obviously when Wayne (Bennett) came to the club at St George (Illawarra) he understood me and I played some pretty good footy under Wayne," Soward told Ninemsn.

"I feel under Ivan all I have to worry about is pretty much putting my boots on and going out there.

"I don't have to worry about the game plan too much.

"I don't have to go out there and worry about 40 different plays and putting blokes in position because all the blokes in the team are adept to their positions and are accustomed to what they do.

"l guess lately I've had to step up a little bit more with the organisation, but other than that the whole Penrith staff are into giving the Penrith players the tools and just letting the players go out there and play.

"For me it's not about being in career best form, it's about me probably enjoying myself the most I have in my career."

Under Bennett at the Dragons, Soward followed a highly defined game plan that centred on his kicking game and directing the troops around the park.

But this year he's taken on a more off-the-cuff style, taking on the line with a new confidence and playing what he sees - and it's paid dividends.

It was clear to see against the Cowboys on Monday night when he scored two tries, the first a five-star effort where he used his pace and to edge across field and get outside the defence to put young centre Dallin Watene-Zalezniak into a hole before backing up to accept a return pass to touchdown.

But it was his second effort, where he took on the defence from close range and stepped past several defenders before muscling his way over for a try, that had observers like former Test half and commentator Greg Alexander raving.

Soward is quick to deflect praise for his form to Cleary and the support of rising fullback Tim Moylan and dummy-half James Segeyaro.

Asked about about running the ball more, Soward says: "I think (I am).

"But that (talk) was probably just a result of the other night with my couple of tries, but I just say it's the structure we've got and just allowing me to go out and play.

"It's just a matter of me being pretty chilled and he's (Ivan) just very open to my ideas and he if he wants something done it's his way, but he'll also listen."

Soward admits he, Segeyaro and Moylan have had to lift to cover for the loss of Wallace on top of a devastating injury toll that has claimed five other automatic selections from the club's top 17 squad.

"We've had to (lift)," he said . "Those two young men have really been a little bit the reason why I've been able to go out there and play footy because without those two guys helping steer the team around, and especially young Will Smith the last couple of weeks, then it would have been a hard job.

"But like I've said the club's structure is really good and we've had the same sort of consistency through all three grades and for Matty and Chico (Segeyaro) to really step up the last three weeks and ease Will in and let him just play footy has really helped my game.

"I've been able to lean on them, especially in the tight periods of the game, like Monday night."

More: http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8894056