Topic: Raiders vs Cowboys Preview: Canberra face tough first up test

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
NRL Round 1 Preview: North Queensland Cowboys v Canberra Raiders

North Queensland Cowboys host Canberra Raiders on Saturday in Round 1 of the NRL. The match starts at 9pm (AEDT)

What: NRL round one
Who: North Queensland Cowboys v Canberra Raiders
When: Saturday, March 8 – 9pm (AEDT)
Where: 1300SMILES Stadium
I can watch it on: Fox Sports

Things you need to know:
Michael Morgan will play his first NRL match at fullback, handed the reins due to Lachlan Coote's anterior cruciate ligament injury. Ray Thompson wins the hooking role, with Rory Kostjasyn to come off the bench, while Jason Taumalolo has beat out Glenn Hall to a starting spot in the back-row. Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has named two debutants with Matt Allwood to start in the centres while Shannon Boyd is on a five-man bench. Jack Wighton will partner skipper Terry Campese in the halves, with Josh McCrone to come off the bench.

Reason to watch:
There aren't a massive number of great playmakers in the game anymore but Johnathan Thurston certainly is one of those. The classy pivot with the unmistakable laugh can do some extraordinary things on the football field and the Cowboys are as close to a one-man team as you can get. In other words, if JT gets injured they can't win the comp. Will also be worth keeping an eye on the new Raiders boss Stuart, with a lot expected of Canberra's favourite son after he walked out on Parramatta after one season and the wooden spoon.

Reason to turn away:
With both clubs having new coaches at the helm, they are likely to be a bit rusty in the early rounds. The humid and dewy conditions in Townsville at this time of the year are rarely conducive to free-flowing, attacking football which means it could be a real up-the-middle, boring slogfest for 80 minutes

Say what:
"My first day at training I made the comment it feels like I have changed clubs. There was that much of a difference. We have a new start, new coach, some new staff and a really fresh approach. It feels like everyone is on the same page this year, as a squad. I don't think I have felt that purpose over the last couple of years. If we can really buy into what (new coach Paul Green) has taught us and stick to our game plans, it's an exciting time for the Cowboys." – Cowboys co-captain Matt Scott.

Final word:
In a tough first round of matches to predict, this is arguably the most clear-cut fixture of the weekend. The Cowboys should be full of confidence after a brilliant end to 2013 which they carried on into the pre-season by winning the inaugural Auckland Nines tournament, where they crushed the Raiders on the way to the title. They are always hard to beat at home and should have little trouble in seeing off Canberra, especially if they are to be genuine title contenders. Cowboys by 12

Source: http://www.sportal.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/nrl-round-1-preview-north-queensland-cowboys-v-canberra-raiders/1rc4c6ipr9zkd1lyc5fdtbloiu