Topic: Sia Soliola to retire from professional rugby league

Raidercast

• Raidercast Commentary Team
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Sia Soliola to retire from professional rugby league
« on: September 28, 2021, 10:12:36 AM »
Sia Soliola has announced his retirement from professional rugby league today after 17 seasons playing the game at the highest level.

“I’m at ease with everything now,” Soliola said. “There’s a few mixed emotions, I’m excited and a bit nervous but relieved to make the decision to leave the game which has given me a lot and I’m looking forward to what’s ahead.

Sia Soliola during the 2016 season   Sia Soliola during the 2016 season   Soliola has played a combined total of 336 matches across the NRL and Super League, with 137 of those matches for the Canberra Raiders over 7 seasons.

His announcement headlines several players departing the club playing roster at the end of the 2021 season, with Dunamis Lui, Siliva Havili, Ryan James, Darby Medlyn and Caleb Aekins also finishing their time at the club.

Soliola made his NRL debut for the Roosters in 2005 under Coach Ricky Stuart, and his career will finish under the same Coach who first gave him his opportunity to pursue his dream of playing rugby league at the highest level.

He arrived in Canberra in 2015 as part of a club rebuild under Coach Ricky Stuart after five years playing for St Helens in the Super League in England. His influence was immediate, and his contributions have helped the club achieve some wonderful successes in his time in green.

Sia Soliola was awarded the 2015 Meninga Medal   Sia Soliola was awarded the 2015 Meninga Medal   “When I first came here to this club and Ricky spoke about the vision and what he had regarding the playing group and the club as a whole, that’s what really excited me,” Soliola said “Especially being over at St Helens where I really enjoyed my time over there and everyone notices how the English Super League operates and how the crowds and communities come together and he wanted me to bring that energy and experience that I had over there and bring it to Canberra.  

“Because I went so young when I went to Super League, I felt like I still had a fair bit of time to come back to the NRL. There was always that feeling in the back of your mind whether you could still do it or not, but I was excited with the challenge that was in front of me and I really wanted to do what I could to help influence the team when I came back to Australia.”

More: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/09/28/sia-soliola-to-retire-from-professional-rugby-league/