Topic: Dunemann pulls out of race for Cowboys coaching job

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Dunemann pulls out of race for Cowboys coaching job
« on: September 07, 2013, 05:04:50 PM »
Andrew Dunemann out of race for North Queensland Cowboys coaching job

INTERIM Canberra coach Andrew Dunemann has pulled out of the race for the Cowboys post as Kevin Walters on Friday moved a step closer to succeeding Neil Henry in Townsville.

Dunemann's management have emailed Cowboys hierarchy informing them the 37-year-old is devoting his energies to Canberra following David Furner's sacking last month.

The development comes as Cowboys bosses ramp-up their search for Henry's replacement, with Broncos legend Kevin Walters officially short-listed ahead of Saturday night's clash against Wests Tigers.

The Courier-Mail understands Walters is among a select candidacy, of an estimated four coaches, now entering the final round of interviews to take charge of the Cowboys in 2014.

It is believed Sydney Roosters assistant Paul Green, Newcastle's Rick Stone and the Broncos' Kristian Woolf are among the select group being assessed to succeed Henry.

Those short-listed are likely to front Cowboys powerbrokers for a formal presentation outlining their vision in the post-Henry era.

Raiders assistant coach Dunemann applied for the Cowboys job four weeks ago, but that was prior to the bloodletting at Canberra that saw the club part ways with Furner.

Despite starting his NRL coaching career with two losses, Dunemann has relished the responsibility at the Raiders and hopes to be formally appointed as Furner's full-time replacement.

“Andrew has withdrawn interest in the Cowboys job,” his manager Jim Banaghan said.

“I've sent an email to the Cowboys informing them Andrew has officially pulled out.

“It's no slight on the Cowboys, the job is obviously attractive, but he doesn't want to be seen chasing two or three jobs.

“There's a possibility the Cowboys may go for a more experienced coach and naturally that doesn't marry in with Andrew's profile.

“Andrew wants to be dedicated to one position and he feels he's served a fair apprenticeship at Canberra.”

Dunemann was rated an early frontrunner for the North Queensland post, but his withdrawal can only enhance the claims of Walters, who has been linked with the Broncos for 2015.

The Cowboys board are expected to make a decision within the month before Cowboys players reconvene for preseason training in November.

Walters, currently Melbourne's assistant, said he couldn't guarantee premiership success but believes he has the building blocks to succeed at the Cowboys.

“First and foremost, a team needs a good defensive structure around them,” he said.

"That's really helped with what I do at the Storm, I look after the defensive stuff here.

“The big thing too is the enjoyment factor, it gets lost in today's game.

“I would bring discipline first and the fun comes later, fun comes with winning.

“If you aren't winning it's not fun for anyone, the winning side of it is the key. I strongly believe in being in a winning club and a winning team.”

Banaghan said Dunemann remains hopeful of keeping the Canberra job despite the club's interest in Ricky Stuart and deposed Cowboys coach Henry.

“(Dunemann's) strengths would be suited to the Raiders roster,” Banaghan said.

“Andrew is currently at Canberra, he is well-liked, he understands the culture, he is seen as a coach of the future.

“He's been doing most of the video and game plans this year and his post-game analysis has been exceptionally well received by the players.

“He is keen to stay as Canberra coach. He has put some things in place since taking over from David Furner and he'd like the opportunity to continue working on it.”

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/andrew-dunemann-out-of-race-for-north-queensland-cowboys-coaching-job/story-e6frf3ou-1226713449065#ixzz2eBiIgy72