Topic: Raiders Toyota Cup Round 2 Preview

Chase94

• RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Raiders Toyota Cup Round 2 Preview
« on: March 08, 2012, 01:32:08 PM »
Toyota Cup Round 2 Preview

Whilst the Canberra Raiders NYC team will be without the services of their star five-eighth Jack Wighton after he was selected to make his first grade debut, they will welcome back the return of highly rated fullback and local junior, Jack Ahearn.

The side kicked off their season in tremendous fashion last Saturday beating title contenders the Melbourne Storm 16-10 in atrocious conditions at Canberra Stadium.

The win was built on a staunch defensive effort right across the park, however Coach Andrew Dunemann will focus on improving the side’s attack this week against the Titans.

“It was good to start the season off with a win and it was a good, tough victory,” said Dunemann.

“Defensively we were really good and we need to maintain that. If we can defend like that we’re going to give ourselves the chance to win most games. What we then do with the footy will determine whether we win or not.”

“I thought we played a really tough brand of footy but I think our work with the footy can improve. Obviously the conditions played a factor in that as well, but that will be our focus for this week.”

Whilst Wighton’s natural talents were instrumental in the win, Dunemann believes his limited preparation with the side was evident in the side’s fluency with the ball.

“Jack’s an outstanding player and we were probably lucky to have him for that game. In saying that though he probably only had one run with us in the pre-season and that might’ve had an impact on our fluency with the footy at times last week.”

“Had Jacko had some more sessions with us I’m positive it would’ve been better but he was outstanding for us, there’s no doubt about it. He’s a player that is going to have a long career.”

Dealing with first grade promotions are part and parcel of the Toyota Cup, and Dunemann hopes Wighton’s elevation is not the only one for the year, no matter how much it impacts on the team’s lineup.

“It’s not a concern. Hopefully it will happen a fair bit to us this year with some our boys getting the opportunity to have a crack in first grade because at the end of the day that’s what it’s all about. When that’s happening you know we’re doing well in the 20s; they go hand in hand.”

A key figure in improving the side’s attacking ability will be the return of Ahearn. The Valley Dragons junior is a marvelous support player and communicates well with the team’s forwards and ballplayers. Ahearn will play at fullback with Mitchel Cronin moving into the halves to partner skipper Mitchell Cornish.

“With Jack Ahearn coming in this week he’ll add to our team enormously. I’m hoping we’ll be a bit better with the footy this week and Jack Ahearn will be a big part of that.”

The Titans are coming off a 34-26 loss to the North Queensland Cowboys at Dairy Farmers Stadium however Dunemann is under no illusions this week’s clash will be a walk in the park.

“I’ve had a look at the tape of the Titans game from last week and they’ve got some dangerous players. If we go up there thinking it’s going to be an easy game then they’ll knock us off.”

“There are a lot of quality players in their team and there’ll be some interesting challenges right across the park.”

“A big thing for us in this competition is going to be backing up our performances each week. We need to show again what we did without the footy last week and improve with it.”

Dunemann highlighted Cornish, Shannon Boyd, and Haydon Crocket as the players that particularly impressed him last week and he will look for these senior players to step up again this week.

The match kicks off on Saturday at 3:15pm AEDST (2:15pm local, live on FOX Sports).

Source: Canberra Raiders