Topic: Furner: We “released the valve”

Chase94

• RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Furner: We “released the valve”
« on: March 04, 2012, 02:03:45 PM »
Furner: We “released the valve”

Despite losing in devastating circumstances, Raiders coach David Furner believes his side could have gone onto win had a few key moments gone their way.

Speaking after the 24-19 loss to the Storm, Furner felt it was simply mistakes that allowed Melbourne to claim a late winner.

“I just thought we came up with a few errors and released the valve,” Furner said.

Even though it was a hard result to digest, Furner claims there are plenty of positives to come from the game.

“We hung in that game – they scored three tries from kicks.

“We’ve been working really hard in defence. We had a really good set holding the Storm down – they used a really good kick to get out of their end.

“Obviously we didn’t take the two points, and that’s going to hurt the players, but we can certainly build on what we produced tonight.”

One of the most contentious calls during the game came when Blake Ferguson was denied a crucial try. The pass to the winger was ruled forward, and Furner questioned the decision.

“I found out it was the pocket referee who made the call.

“There’s certainly a question there without a doubt. It was terrible.”

The game was played in heavy rain, but Furner praised the team’s efforts, particularly in defence.

“I thought we handled the conditions quite well.

“You’ve got to give these boys credit – they fought back against a so-called top four side.

“I’ve got to give them credit as well – the three big guns for Melbourne came up with some big plays.

“What I did like was our defence. It was aggressive.”

Source: Canberra Raiders