Topic: Furner: Papalii doesn't want to leave Raiders despite signing with Eels

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Josh Papalii doesn't want to leave Canberra Raiders despite signing for Parramatta Eels, says David Furner

THE Josh Papalii saga deepened significantly last night when Canberra coach David Furner claimed: "He doesn't want to leave the Raiders."

Papalii has signed a three year deal with Parramatta, however, Canberra has until round 13 to make a counter-offer and retain the rampaging forward.

Parramatta announced the signing last Friday evening although Raiders officials say the $1 million deal was completed three weeks ago.

Furner claims Papalii said he did not want to leave the Raiders.

"I know the kid wants to stay. He doesn't want to leave," Furner said last night.

"I will catch up with him again (today) for a chat.

"I have spoken to his parents and they also want him to stay. It is now up to our club to get close to the Parramatta offer."

Told of Furner's comments, Parramatta CEO Ken Edwards hit back last night, dismissing claims Papalii signed under duress.

"It's all news to me," Edwards said. "Until we hear from Josh we have no reason to believe anything has changed."

Papalii has been assured of his place in Canberra's pack for 2013 no matter where the controversial tug-of-war for his services finishes up.

Despite all the uncertainty, Furner insists there is "no chance" the saga will impact on the 20-year-old's selection.

"This case, it's not a simple one and we're really waiting to see what happens," Furner said. "But it definitely won't impact on me picking Josh this year . . . (laughs) and maybe next year, who knows?"

Papalii was the only Raider barred from speaking with media after their gutsy 22-18 trial win against Canterbury at a soaked Goulburn Workers Arena on Saturday night.

Trailing 12-4 into the second half, Canberra piled on four unanswered tries despite the atrocious conditions, with New Zealand-born Papalii producing a solid display.

While fullback Josh Dugan missed the game, and was spotted wearing a moon boot to support his troublesome ankle, coach Furner insisted he would be ready for round one.

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/josh-papalii-doesnt-want-to-leave-canberra-raiders-despite-signing-for-parramatta-eels-says-david-furner/story-e6frep5x-1226584557470