Topic: Dugan revs up to battle for No 1

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Dugan revs up to battle for No 1
« on: May 03, 2011, 09:02:53 PM »
Dugan revs up to battle for No 1

Country fullback Josh Dugan is confident his proven big-match record will come to the fore when he battles City rival Jarryd Hayne in an Origin selection stoush on Friday.

Dugan has been a standout for the disappointing Raiders since returning from a calf injury a fortnight ago.

The timing of his return has been impeccable, given incumbent NSW fullback Hayne has missed the past two weeks through suspension.

The Eels star's omission from the Australian Test squad has also done Dugan's claims of winning a maiden Blues jumper no harm.

''I was kind of happy to see it [Hayne's omission], but at the same time I was disappointed for Jarryd,'' Dugan said.

''It's going to be a good challenge on Friday, and it's basically a trial to see who gets that position for Origin.

''[However] I don't see it as a full-on [trial] and that whoever wins the game's going to get the selection - I just have to play the best I can and prove I deserve the position.''

Dugan was man-of-the-match in last year's corresponding fixture, won by Country 36-18, but still failed to get the nod from Blues selectors.

He was also judged best afield after a dynamic display in February's All-Stars game on the Gold Coast.

The 21-year-old has shown beyond a doubt he can handle the big stage, and is hellbent on putting further pressure on Hayne in Albury.

''If I have a good game it's definitely going to push my case for selection, and that's the plan,'' he said. ''I do [take pride in my big-match performances], and I don't think Friday will be any different.''

Dugan said Country coach Laurie Daley and NSW mentor Ricky Stuart had spoken to him about aspects of his game he can improve.

''They haven't said anything about Origin, just things to help me become a better player,'' he said.

''I've got a couple of little errors I need to get out of my game, and also work on fitness.

''[They spoke about] getting that energy around the ruck, start supporting more and to not get involved with the refs and just leave it.''

Dugan has been a rare shining light for the Raiders during their seven-game losing streak, one of the darkest periods in their history.

He had two try assists and 10 tackle breaks in Canberra's loss to Newcastle a fortnight ago. Dugan also scored both Raiders tries in their humiliating 49-12 home defeat to Wests Tigers on Sunday.

''Yesterday [Sunday] I showed shades of where I should be,'' Dugan said. ''I think I've played pretty well the last couple of weeks coming back from the injury, and will only improve from here.''

Despite its wretched form, four Canberra players will play representative football this weekend. Joel Thompson and Tom Learoyd-Lahrs were also named in the Country squad, while Bronson Harrison will play his 13th Test for New Zealand.

Dugan believes a change of scenery and the confidence from playing rep football may steel the players for the daunting task of guiding the Raiders out of their slump.

''It's good in a way because you can get away from all that pressure, and all the hype around us losing seven in a row,'' Dugan said.

''At the same time it's not great leaving the team at a time like this when all you want to do is get the confidence back up in the boys and get back to winning.''

Dugan added the Raiders felt terrible that their woeful form forced coach David Furner to stand down as Australian assistant coach for Friday's Test against New Zealand.

Source: The Canberra Times[url]