Topic: Raiders boss savages 'cowardly' fans

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Raiders boss savages 'cowardly' fans
« on: May 04, 2011, 05:26:06 PM »
Raiders boss savages 'cowardly' fans
4 May 2011, 12:29 pm

Raiders boss Don Furner says he is "embarrassed to be a Canberran" following revelations the players, their wives and even ballboys are copping abuse from fans following the club's disastrous start to the season.

A high-profile player's car is even believed to have been vandalised by a fan disgruntled with the woeful form of the Raiders, who have lost their past seven games including Sunday's 49-12 home thrashing at the hands of Wests Tigers.

Furner said police had been handed security details concerning the vandalism of the car by what appeared to be a person wearing Raiders supporters gear.

Furner told 666 Canberra he is highly disappointed with a section of the community who have taken their disappointment with the club too far.

"I would hope that our fans wouldn't go vandalising somebody's car after a game, I think it's pathetic," he said, without revealing the identity of the player targeted.

"I'm a bit embarrassed to be a Canberran if that's the way our fans are going to react, by vandalising cars. To go and vandalise a car, I think is just gutless.

"Apart from the fact that it's not very brave, it is a crime to go around vandalising things.

"We're trying to promote the city and the team and have people play for the city and the team, and if someone's done that, they really are cowardly."

Furner confirmed the players' wives and even the ballboys had been the subject of ridicule.

"I understand fans' frustration, it is a sport, the players are trying hard, we aren't happy with the results," he said.

"But to abuse players before they're running onto the field, to abuse players' wives; even the ballboys on the side of the field and the cheer squad are getting abuse, and I'm thinking, that's just again going far too far.

"The ballboys ... are 10-year-old kids.

"I scratch my head ... I get disappointed when I hear that."

Furner admitted plenty is expected of NRL players given their elite-level status and salaries, but said fans needed to keep things in perspective.

"That Chelsea striker (Fernando Torres) who was on multi-million dollars and wasn't scoring a goal cops it - that's what fans do," he said.

"I don't know why they think it's their right.

"You can yell and cheer and boo at the games, but to take it out on ballboys and wives and look at also vandalising cars, it's very disappointing."

Source: Tag: Rugby League - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)