Topic: Origin hype is all just talk: Wighton

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Origin hype is all just talk: Wighton
« on: March 31, 2015, 03:41:29 PM »
Canberra fullback Jack Wighton says talk of him being a future State of Origin fullback is just that - a lot of talk.

Wighton has been in great form since making the Raiders' No.1 jersey his own late last year.

He kicked off 2015 with a two-try match winning performance over Cronulla, and looked just as lively in round two against the Warriors until an eye-socket injury which forced him to sit out the next game.

While his run of form before the head clash had NRL experts speaking of him as a future NSW Blues fullback candidate, Wighton was quick to play down personal ambitions on Tuesday.

The Raiders lost their third straight game when they were belted 34-6 by the Roosters on Sunday, meaning Wighton's sole focus is getting his struggling side back on track when they take on Manly at Albury's Lavington Sports Ground this Saturday.

"I just feel it (Origin honours) is a lot of talk at the moment," he said.

"Me and the team have a lot of improving to do .... but we're building."

Wighton admitted that being noticed by experts outside of Canberra was a huge confidence boost.

"As a footballer that's what you're trying to build towards. Sometimes I get a little bit nervous, but I love it," he said.

After three years of battling injuries while playing a utility role for the Raiders, Wighton is glad he can finally focus on the one position and study stars such as Storm fullback Billy Slater.

"Billy is one of my idols. I do a lot of video on him," he said.

More: http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8972830