Topic: Raiders coaching staff have full confidence in Robinson

GB7600

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Raiders coaching staff have full confidence in Robinson
« on: March 26, 2013, 09:40:03 PM »
Raider Robinson listed at fullback again

After a flying start, Reece Robinson looks to have Canberra's backing to cement the fullback role made vacant by the sacking of wayward NRL star Josh Dugan.

The Raiders' coaching staff have full confidence in the 25-year-old, naming him at fullback once again to take on the Knights in Newcastle on Sunday.

"At this stage, we have an unchanged (line-up) from last week, as I thought we put a good performance out there," assistant coach Andrew Dunemann said.

"If we can repeat that performance in the effort areas, then we put ourselves in good stead for the weekend."

Robinson starred with a man-of-the-match two-try effort in the Raiders' 30-17 win over St George Illawarra on Sunday.

His brilliant performance at fullback was made possible because incumbent Dugan was sacked from the club two weeks ago for skipping a team rehab session and then posting an online photograph of himself drinking alcohol on a rooftop.

A humble Robinson was quick to play down his performance, laughing at suggestions his first try was a Stephen Bradbury-like performance after three players fell down in front of him while chasing a Blake Ferguson grubber.

"I was just in the right place at the right time," the Indigenous All Stars representative said.

"It was just a bit of luck out there, my tries. I'm glad I got them."

While the 25-year-old admitted there was a lot more pressure at fullback compared to the wing, he didn't feel like he would be playing in Dugan's shadow this season.

"I had a few opportunities to play there last year so I got a bit used to it," he said.

"I'm just looking forward to trying to cement this position now and making the most of it."

The match this Sunday against Newcastle will be an interesting one for Robinson as he'll be going up against his first NRL coach Wayne Bennett.

Bennett not only gave Robinson his first big break in 2008 at Brisbane, but also made a recommendation to the Raiders to throw him a lifeline in late 2009 after he'd moved to the Dragons and Robinson's Broncos contract was not renewed.

Raiders: Reece Robinson, Sandor Earl, Jarrod Croker, Blake Ferguson, Jack Wighton, Josh McCrone (co-capt), Sam Williams, David Shillington (co-capt), Glen Buttriss, Brett White, Josh Papalii, Joel Edwards, Shaun Fensom. Interchange: Shaun Berrigan, Joe Picker, Dane Tilse, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs, Matt McIlwrick (18th man).

Source: http://www.nrl.com/raider-robinson-listed-at-fullback-again/tabid/10874/newsid/71364/default.aspx