Topic: David Furner on thin ice

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
David Furner on thin ice
« on: October 27, 2011, 02:40:08 PM »
Furner on thin ice

David Furner's job is safe for now despite a less-than-flattering review into Canberra's dismal 2012 campaign.

But Raiders chairman John McIntyre warned a repeat of this year's performance - the club finished a distant 15th and narrowly avoided the wooden spoon - would not be tolerated.

It would almost certainly end in Furner's dismissal as coach despite him being under contract until the end of the 2014 season.

While stressing the club remained firmly behind Furner, McIntyre said: "Certainly it would be very, very hard for the board to tolerate a repetition of this year's unfortunate results."

"I think David gives himself his ultimatum (to perform) - certainly there's no ultimatum from the board."

"David Furner's always been looked up on as a long term coach."

"I walked down the steps in the back office (at the club's headquarters) and I couldn't help but notice the photos of the past coaches. I'm sure David Furner doesn't want to see his photo up there in that gallery at least for another few years."

Canberra made it to the second week of the finals in 2010 and were again expected to challenge the leading teams this year.

But despite enticing high profile players in Blake Ferguson and Matt Orford to the club, the Green Machine rarely got out of first gear.

Orford proved a flop, dumped from first grade and eventually shown the door.

Premiership-winning coach Michael Hagan and consultant John Waser headed the review into the Raiders' season, making a number of recommendations.

The club has already appointed former Hull KR coach Justin Morgan to assist Furner, while plans are in place to launch a high performance unit.

Source: Sportal