Topic: Furner brothers didn't see sacking coming

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Furner brothers didn't see sacking coming
« on: August 21, 2013, 10:47:08 AM »
Canberra CEO Don Furner says he didn't forsee the player led sacking of younger brother and Raiders coach David Furner.

David Furner became the first Raiders coach to be sacked in the club's 32 seasons on Tuesday.

He had taken the team down to Moruya for a camp ahead of their must-win clash against Manly on Sunday in a last-ditch effort to strengthen the team's solidarity in their run up towards the finals.

There had been discontent within circles of the Raiders' playing camp following David's decision to stand by troubled centre Blake Ferguson after repeated behavioural issues.

Don on Wednesday told Big Sports Breakfast that his little brother's sacking was "pretty much" led by a player revolt.

"That's the way most of the time a coach gets sacked, it's usually that type (player revolt)," Don said.

Don said players had approached board members instead of himself due to the duo's close relationship.

He said it was fair to say the two of them didn't see the board's decision coming.

"I understand the uncomfortable nature of that relationship," Don said.

"So no, (the players) went and saw the board and I was left out of that and I understand why they wouldn't come to me.

"Once I knew what the board were looking to do I got the car and drove down to face (David) face to face.

Don said it was tough letting his younger brother know of the board's decision.

"I felt that he'd rather hear it from me than anyone else," he said.

"It was difficult, but you just have to deliver the news unfortunately."

Source: http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8709775