Topic: CEO Don Furner excluded from decision to sack brother, says he still loves Dave

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Furner delivered the news by brother Don

Furner is still trying to come to terms with his sacking.

He was informed of the decision by brother and Canberra chief executive Don Furner during a team training camp on the New South Wales south coast on Tuesday.

Don said he was excluded from the decision making process and breaking the news to his brother was one of the hardest things he has had to do.

"I'm clearly as shocked as everybody else because I was left out of the discussions," he said.

"I understand the reasons for that and I understand the uniqueness of the situation, David being my brother. I understand why I was left out of it."

The Furner family has had a long association with the club. David and Don's father Don was the first coach of the Raiders and David played 200 games for the club.

Chief executive Don says he believes his brother understands the reasons for his dismissal.

"He's tough. He's my brother and I still love him," Don Furner said.

"He's not done anything wrong, it's just a tough business. He's grown up around it, we've grown up around it, we know how tough it is.

"It's a very, very tumultuous business to be involved in.

"All coaches go through it and I'm sure deep down, along the way, all coaches know one day that that's going to happen to them."

McIntyre was expecting to meet with David Furner on Wednesday morning to explain further the club's decision.

Raiders Group chief executive Simon Hawkins said Furner will be paid out in full and he dismissed suggestions that players have taken control of the club.

"They have free communications to the board and they are allowed and they do exercise those," Hawkins said.

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-21/furner-support-for-ferguson-behind-raiders-sacking/4901390