Topic: Learoyd-Lahrs Ready For Personal Challenge In All Stars Clash

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Learoyd-Lahrs Ready For Personal Challenge In All Stars Clash
« on: January 31, 2012, 08:44:09 PM »
Learoyd-Lahrs to lead from the front in All Stars clash

Tipping the scales at an intimidating 110kg and 194cm, Canberra Raiders enforcer, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs, is looked upon by many as the man to lead the light-weight Indigenous All Stars forward pack against the heavy set NRL All Stars pack.

Whilst the weight of the starting packs of each side is fairly even, it is the NRL side’s bench featuring the likes of Adam Blair and Frank Pritchard that gives them a considerable size advantage.

“I see the fact that we don’t have the biggest of forward packs as a huge challenge to me personally,” Learoyd-Lahrs said.

“I’m looking forward to showing a bit of responsibility out in the middle and I’ll be aiming to lead by example. It’s a good challenge for me personally and I’ll be there to ensure we get off to a good start.”

Learoyd-Lahrs has been a part of the All Stars concept since its inception, however this year’s fixture takes on more importance with the trophy being named after the great Arthur Beetson.

“It’s been a great honour to be involved in the concept for the third year running,” said the four test Australian representative.

“Both years have been really enjoyable and great to be a part of. Over time the concept has evolved and the organisers have worked out how to run the week really well now. It’s geared towards trying to promote Aboriginal issues, acknowledging the Aboriginal talent in the competition and the contribution by Aboriginal volunteers in the rugby league community. To be part of that is great.”

“The game takes on even more importance this year as the trophy has been named after Arthur Beetson. It’s not just Aboriginal fans, but any fan of rugby league, particularly in that era that had the chance to see him play, he had a big impact on all of them.”

“He left a pretty lasting impression on the game because I knew who Artie Beetson was from a young age. Even though I didn’t get to see him play I was aware of his achievements and what he did in the game which is a testament to the kind of player and person he was.”

“It’s one game all now and I’m definitely motivated to get the Arthur Beetson trophy back for the Indigenous community. To win in the first year was great and the following year I thought we could’ve beat them again we didn’t play smartly and lost in a close one. It’ll be fitting for the Indigenous side to be engraved on the plaque as the initial winners. We’re working pretty hard towards achieving that.”

Outside of rugby league, Learoyd-Lahrs has a business diploma and a Certificate 3 and 4 in Fitness. He believes the All Stars fixture has a tremendous influence on young Aboriginal kids to inspire them to chase not only their rugby league dreams, but to give them the belief that they can achieve their educational dreams also.

“That’s the underlying message that goes into the game itself. The game is one part of it but the other parts are what is done in the community and the educational messages that are sent to the community.”

“I’ve done bits and pieces as far as qualifications are concerned but I’ll look to expand on that before I’ve finished my career. Everyone needs some sort of qualification behind them and the more publicity the game attracts, the more we can promote to the kids, whether their indigenous or not, to put an importance on their education and get out there and achieve their goals.”

Source: Raiders.com.au