Topic: Carney and Gallen reach out to Ferguson

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Carney and Gallen reach out to Ferguson
« on: August 24, 2013, 11:18:20 PM »
Cronulla Sharks stars Paul Gallen and Todd Carney reach out to Blake Ferguson

THE Cronulla Sharks have been reaching out to sacked NSW Origin star Blake Ferguson, with captain Paul Gallen and five-eighth Todd Carney personally telephoning the Raiders centre about joining the club next season.

Agitating for a release from the Raiders prior to coach David Furner being sacked midweek, Ferguson is a free agent as of October due to a get-out clause in his contract.

Ferguson had two years to run on his Canberra deal but is free to leave after Furner was axed, opening the door for the Sharks to push hard for his signature alongside Canterbury.

The ironic element of Cronulla’s pursuit of Ferguson is the way the Blues centre quit the club after two seasons at the end of 2010, when he exercised a get-out clause when Ricky Stuart was sacked as coach.

At the time, Ferguson said: "I want to win a premiership, and also with the things going on in the club - the uncertainty - I just want to be in a stable place where I can concentrate on winning a title, that is what is in my heart.

"It is nothing personal, I do have an emotional attachment to the club. I just want to win."

Sharks fans remained furious about the way Ferguson departed long after he had quit the club to join the Raiders.

But in the swings and roundabouts world of rugby league, Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan is currently angling to lure Ferguson back to the Shire to complement new recruit Blake Ayshford in the centres.

The other clubs linked to Ferguson, the Sydney Roosters and South Sydney, on Saturday ruled themselves out of contention.

"No, I certainly haven’t had any conversations in relation to Blake Ferguson and I’m not anticipating any," Roosters chief of football Brian Canavan said.

Rabbitohs chief executive Shane Richardson also ruled out a move to Redfern, irrespective of the club’s strong ties with Anthony Mundine and the Aboriginal community.

"We won’t be making an offer to Blake Ferguson," Richardson said.

Ferguson, who was sacked from the NSW Origin team prior to game II this season, is due to appear in court on indecent assault charges on September 3. Ferguson has pleaded not guilty.

The Raiders centre is understood to be looking at a return to Sydney so his cousin Mundine can act as a role model and mentor.

Source: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/cronulla-sharks-have-blake-ferguson-on-speed-dial/story-fni3gokz-1226703425131