Topic: Raiders set deadline for Ballin decision

Raidercast

• Raidercast Commentary Team
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Raiders set deadline for Ballin decision
« on: May 31, 2012, 04:47:45 PM »
Raiders set deadline for Ballin decision

CANBERRA has given Manly hooker Matt Ballin until Sunday to decide whether he will join the Raiders next season.

Raiders boss Don Furner told ABC Canberra on Thursday that he believed his club was firmly in the hunt for the 28-year-old prized signature despite the former Queensland Origin rake confirming his preference is to stay at the Sea Eagles.

“Hopefully by the end of this weekend,” Furner said of when they should have an answer.

“I’ve been in contact with his manager a few times; he’s obviously weighing up what Manly can do for him and what our offer has been.

“We’d like him to come here but we can’t wait forever so we’ll keep the dialogue open and (coach) David (Furner) has spoken with Matt a couple of times himself.

“Understandably he wants to stay (at Manly) that’s the club he’s had a lot of success at, they’re the current premiers.

"He’s comfortable living in that area so I’m confident if he doesn’t find a home there we’re a good chance getting him.

“Obviously he’d like to stay there but I think if he leaves there I’m optimistic that it would be this club that he’d come to.”

The Raiders have imposed the deadline so they have ample time to find a replacement should Ballin reject their offer.

The club is desperate to recruit a genuine 80 minute hooker to the club, having been without a fulltime rake since Simon Woolford left for St George Illawarra at the end of 2006.

“We’ve chopped and changed at nine for a long time,” Furner said.

“There’s no doubt since Simon (Woolford) left we’ve had a number of guys at nine.

“It would be great to have an experienced No.9, there’s not many of them around that plays 80 minutes and also a great leader and role model.

“Without (Terry) Campese and Brett White there at the moment there’s a lot of young guys who have to step up and be leaders so another experienced person like Shaun Berrigan and (David) Shillington have been (would be ideal).”

The Sea Eagles are also desperate to retain Ballin who has been a stable in their side since making his NRL debut with the club in 2007.

Ballin has won two premierships with the Sea Eagles and also has his own personal training business established on the northern beaches.

North Queensland also remain in the hunt for Ballin’s signature with Aaron Payne and James Segeyaro both off-contract at the end of the season.

Source: Sports News First