Topic: Raiders seek test of finals credentials

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Raiders seek test of finals credentials
« on: August 20, 2012, 08:55:37 PM »
Raiders seek test of finals credentials
20 August 2012, 7:43 pm

Raiders seek test of finals credentials Updated: 19:43, Monday August 20, 2012 Raiders seek test of finals credentials Canberra coach David Furner says his young  side are keen to prove their NRL finals credentials by ending  Canterbury's stunning 12-game winning streak on Friday night.

The Raiders take on the Bulldogs in round 25 in Canberra in  their sternest test of the season to date, in a game they must win  to keep their finals hopes alive.

On a three-match winning streak themselves, a buoyant Furner  believes the Raiders are building to a season defining performance  as they host a rare Friday night game.

'We see this as a challenge, we have to keep building,' Furner  said on Monday.

'I think some of the young blokes will be excited as it is a  Friday night game and we are hoping for a big crowd.

'It is a blockbuster game.'

The Raiders have won seven of their last 11 games to mount an  unexpected late season charge at the finals.

They remain outside the top eight on percentages but with the  struggling Warriors to play in the final round, a win over  premiership frontrunners the Bulldogs could put them in a great  position to snare the final playoff spot.

'What I like is that we have come from behind in three games and  that shows you about building pressure, it is good for us to get  into that grinding style of play,' Furner said.

'On the weekend we invited them (Sydney Roosters) back in, we  need to sustain the pressure on the good teams. We have to get it  right. I thought we were quite good against the Roosters (in  limiting their attack) they are No.2 in offloads and I think the  Dogs are No.1 so we have to get that right.'

Furner said star fullback Josh Dugan would be right to play  despite suffering from a high shot that resulted in Roosters  fullback Anthony Minichiello being sent off in the Raiders' round  24 win.

'He has a few bumps and bruises and a couple of stitches but he  is fine,' Furner said.

Source: Sky News Australia